Digitakt Global Settings button stopped working

Hey everybody,

In the middle of a recent gig during set break, I was going to load up my set 2 project and I got no response from my settings button. I turned it off and on again, still nothing. I went and did a quick troubleshoot with the “early restart” boot up and did a test for the button response. Every button got a response on the screen except for the settings button. I am really not sure what caused this, as I have taken extremely good care of my Digitakt. Any help or possible solutions would be appreciated, but it seems like a hardware issue. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum!

If this is a recent purchase, contact the seller for repair or replacement.

In any case, I suggest you make a support ticket on Elektron’s website to ask for their advice.

Hope you get it fixed quickly!

1 Like

Hey Jake,

I’m facing a similar issue with multiple buttons that suddenly stopped working as well, did you get any chance to fix your issue?

Same thing happened to me on my Digitakt, though it’s the down, filter, 6, and 11 buttons.

Hey! Sorry for such a late response. Factory resets didn’t seem to work as I think it was a hardware problem but I sent it in to Elektron and they replaced/ fixed it, no problem! I suggest the same if you haven’t found a solution already.

2 Likes

First thing you want to establish is whether or not your DT was built within the last 3 years, because if it was the warranty will cover it against defects and it’s good to know this before you make any other moves. The sticker on the bottom has a manufacture date showing the year and the week it was produced, so after you establish whether or not you’re inside of warranty, you can then decide if you want to start a repair ticket on elektron.se through your user account, or if you want to open the digitakt up and take a look.

Some general advice about opening your Digitakt

Sometimes a button will be unresponsive because of an excess of lint or other dust build up that gets inside and blocks the contact surface, if you have pets or seem to think you may have other dust etc in the air where you practice and store your gear (a lot of people do) this is not too uncommon. If you are out of warranty, or aren’t patient enough to wait for a full service on your digitakt, you could pull off the encoder caps and use a hex key to remove the faceplate, then unhook the ribbon cable. To unhook the ribbon cable from the top, you’ll need some kind of tweezers, to do it from the bottom where it connects to the lower board you can do it carefully with your fingers.

Then using the next size up hex key, you remove the upper pcb from the faceplate. Look for any screws that look like these ones circled in blue, there are 9 of them, and after they’re all out the faceplate and the PCB will come apart.

At that point, you can take a look and if you see any lint or an excess of dust on the control board, you can get an idea of whether or not the buttons may have something blocking the contact. Around here, I like to put something over the OLED screen so that I don’t get dust on it and then have to clean it off later.

Next, I’d pop off the button caps of the offending buttons using slight leverage from the side of the button, the sides release easier than the top or bottom, and use compressed air to thoroughly purge anything that might have been in the buttons under the caps. Now is also a good time to clear anything else you see off of the pcb while you’re at it.

This may or may not help, and with multiple buttons malfunctioning you may just want to have elektron service your device anyways.

If you decide you don’t want to personally mess with it, they will arrange a service at cost even if it’s outside of warranty, so that’s always an option. It’s possible something which is upstream and connects all those buttons together has gone bad, they’ll be able to determine that and repair it. Don’t know if this will ultimately help, but you do have options and if you’re close to the 3 year date then taking care of it sooner would be better.

1 Like

Unfortunately it’s 4.5 years old. I’ll follow up with Elektron to see how much it’ll cost as I’m in Australia.

I do have two Digitakts, so I might try swapping some parts to diagnose where the issue is. It’s definitely not sticking buttons or lint.

I never expected any issues with this Digitakt, it’s the other one that’s been modded, traveled with, and bumped around :slight_smile:

1 Like

Certainly sounds like a hardware issue, if it’s 4.5 years old you never know what you’ll find inside. If anything is wrong with the electronics it’s probably a surface mount device at some kind of junction that connects each of those buttons in a row. If you’re really good at tracing PCB’s you may even be able to get a rough diagnosis by looking at where all those buttons you mentioned meet a common junction and something there or up from there may be responsible.

I do agree, with all those buttons it’s less likely to be a blocked contact, especially if they all sort of failed at once. Unfortunately, there is probably not much to swap between them except for you could swap the top pcb boards and see if the same problem exists on the other (good) digitakt which would confirm it’s a HW issue, but I don’t have much doubt of that.

I’d think in AU your biggest enemy here is time and shipping, the cost for repair is probably going to be somewhat equal to the cost of shipping the unit. Hope for the best for you though, frustrating I’m sure.