Digitakt first time owner(in love)

I just got a digitakt a few weeks ago and became obsessed with it so bad, sometimes I sleep with it, but now i want more elektron devices, the choice is confusing but i m thinking of buying digitone and a heat or shoud i buy an octatrack? I just love the sequencer of the dt and the sound but i want another device, i own a minilogue xd but its not enough, what do you guys suggest? I mainly jam techno, house, and my goal is to bounce everything to ableton once 80% of the track is done and eq stuff there, but i also wanna be able to perform live and dawless wich i find extremely fun but i just wich i could each single traxk without using ableton , what do you guy suggest for a nex buy? I am confused

5 Likes

If you don’t know whether you want a synth, an effects box, or a sampler, then you need to think more about what tasks your new gear will perform before buying. Then the choice will become easier.

6 Likes

What I know:"
Digitone and Digitakt look and play together nicely.
Octatrack does not have overbridge so you cannot multitrack that into ableton

If you love the Dt go for the Dn
I found it a perfect match

Octatrack is complex and is also a sampler like the Dt

Thanks for the quick replies guys, i think i just need one more versatile sound box with an elektron sequencer, i m thinking of ditching my minilogue for a digitone, octatrack sounds cool but love the quick workflow of the dt so much I m not sure i would like the octatrack, digitone has been on my radar, i m just curious of what make it pair so well with the digitakt? I m not into fm metalic sound

It pairs well because both DT and DN share the same pattern structure (they can switch patterns at the same time easily), the config menus basically look the same, the buttons are in near enough the same place for similar tasks, you have two rows of 8 trigs on both (compared to a single line of 16 on other Elektrons), they both have Control-All, and so on. So the learning curve of moving from one to the other is extremely minimal. There’s also no need for a mixer – just send the audio from one to the other (I recommend DT into DN here for some master distortion on both to gel them together).

And while DN is very much an FM synth, the fact that it has a pair of filters per track (not common for classic FM synths) means you can shape the sound to be anything but metallic. Same thing goes for if you don’t go crazy with the modulation levels. It can actually sound quite like an analog subtractive at times!

Take it easy…try and finish some tracks with the gear you have . Sample the shit out of your Minilogue , drums, bass , blips & blops , chords … the works , and turn your digitakt into that versatile device you are dreaming of . It’s already yours , right there at your finger tips . I myself have been rocking the DFAM / Digitakt combo for about two years now … and i’m still comming up with new ways of creating sounds with it . Turning white noise into chords , turning self oscilating sine waves into a number of percussive elements , getting deep into resampling , midiloops and lfo’s… the sky is the limit really . And then as you say , bounce it to your DAW via overbridge and ad the finishing touches .

2 Likes

Have you thought about adding an ipad? The possibilities are crazy and there are a lot of good apps out there. You could use the DT to sequence other synths (apps) with the 8 midi tracks. It’s Like having a portable daw in a small form factor. Although I have to admit that I am using the iPad more often alone than with the DT, as there are apps which allow me to do (almost) everything the DT can and way more.

Furtmore have you explored midi feedback? Add a Midi cable from out to in on the DT and use the 8 midi tracks to manipulate additional sources. Adding for example lfos and other stuff to the sample tracks.

Thanks you for your answer, i will get a a digitone! That s what i needed!

1 Like

Digitone is a great choice to pair with the Digitakt, and as Craig said, it does SO much more than just FM type sounds because of its hybrid signal flow.

That said, I also think kristof’s advice is good too. I tend to try to max out a device in terms of what I want to do (especially in a live context) before evolving my setup by adding new gear or upgrading to the next level of an existing piece of gear. My first Elektron was a Digitone, and like you, I had a visceral sort of, “Yeah! THIS is what I like!”, response to its workflows and sounds. But I spent some serious time with it and got some live shows under my belt with the Digitone before finally caving and getting a Digitakt.

But in hindsight, it was probably inevitable that I would end up with the pair once I fell in love with the first one.

So, all that being said, if you have already had a few weeks with the Digitakt and truly love it, then as the saying goes, the heart wants what the heart wants, and a Digitone is an excellent addition.

If you’re curious, my current little live rig is centered around the DT/DN pair, with a Circuit Mono Station for some true analog synth stuff and a MicroMonsta 2 (sequenced by the Digitone) for 2x6 voices of virtual analog synthesis.

Now if only live shows were a thing here right now. :frowning:

1 Like