Digitakt Filter/LFO Trigger

Hey everybody,

I’m just trying to understand what is the point of the Filter/LFO trigger switches on the Digitakt. When it is on, does the LFO retriggers every time a note is played?

How do you guys use these?

You mean the LFO mode that says TRG? If I’m not mistaken that one resets the LFO every time a note triggers, yes. You could use that on the volume as a tremolo or on pitch modulation for vibrato, for example. The fact that it retriggers allows you to always start in the same phase of the LFO wave for every note.

The digitakt manual has a great graph for the LFO modes, I believe it’s page 42 (11.7, audio track parameters, LFO page). You can see a visual representation of every LFO mode side by side.

No I’m not talking about the LFO Mode. There is an LFO ‘switch’ in the trig page I think…

From the manual:

Filter Trig controls if the filter envelope will be trigged or not. (ON, OFF)
LFO Trig controls if the LFO will be trigged or not. (ON, OFF)

I guess you could use P locks to decide whether a note triggers with or without the filter envelope or LFO.

…that one confuses me always as it is correct for the Fil Trig but not the LFO Trig.

The LFO Trig depends on the setting at the LFO Page.
If it is set to a free running LFO the LFO Trig On/Off does nothing.
If it is set to a note triggered LFO the LFO Trig On/Off switches that on or off.

Alternative you can P-Lock the free or note trig at the LFO Page.
So never used it and the LFO Trig is useless for me…but who knows perhaps there is a good use!?

1 Like

I don’t use it very often (like almost never); but if I do, I use it when I want a param to swell (RMP) or dive (EXP) across multiple trigs in a sequence, then reset when I get back around to the starting point.
An example might be a 64 step pattern where you want to increase the reverb send from 0 on the first step to 100 on the last. I would set my LFO up with a ramp form and mode as HLF, and mult/speed to give me a 64 beat cycle length, and depth to taste. If LFO.T is set to ON, the LFO retriggers every note and I get a swell for each trig, but if it’s only set to ON for the first trig (I would have it set to OFF on the track, then plocked to ON for the first trig) the reverb send will only trigger on the plocked trig and continue to increase through the next 63

9 Likes

Nice explaination, I was wondering too. Thanks.

And it comes handy in the timestretch technique as posted elsewhere.

1 Like

I must admit that I’m totally confused. Is there any diffrence in acting between LFO.T (On) and LFO Mode TRG?

I’m surprised there is confusion about this. It’s pretty fundamental to the Elektron sequencer. Yellow trigs will have FLT.T and LFO.T turned off by default while a red trig will have them turned on. Useful any time you want to change a parameter without re-triggering the filter env or the lfo. Lots of ways this can be used creatively. :slight_smile:

Thanks :slightly_smiling_face: Am I right that for the red trig there is no diffrences between LFO.T (on) and LFO mode TRG?

It’s a weird way of putting it, not sure it’s a useful way of seeing it. They are different even if they seem to do the same thing. Simply put if LFO mode is set to trig, any trig with LFO.T turned on will re-trigger it, any with LFO.T turned off will not re-trigger it. Hope that clarifies it, but I suggest you keep experimenting with it :slight_smile:

Thanks! I will do that :slightly_smiling_face: