DIGITAKT + ERM Multiclock (slave) transport launch late issues with Ableton as Master

Dear all,

Please help me with an issue with Digitakt when receiving midi from Multiclock which takes audio in signal from Ableton as master. I cannot figure this out!!!

Look at the following screenshot. digitakt, as you can see it starts late, as starting upon clicking space bar in Ableton, whereas my DFAM would start upon clicking spacebar Ableton.

I have checked settings, there is no countin in Ableton or Digitakt.

Audio input latency perhaps? Check your audio interface settings in Ableton. How do you have the ERM plugin setup in Ableton? Using it in an external effects send? Is the multiclock setup in POS/NEG mode? Is the MIDI channel that the DT is connected to set with timing delay on the associated knob?

Looks like “midi clock offset”, a setting in Ableton. I’m no expert, but this could be your problem.

ERM doesnt starts outputting midi clock till after hearing 1 bar (4beats) of the audio pulse from the VST plugin.

Unless you configure it in POS mode. Then there’s no preamble and it starts as soon as it hears the clock signal

2 Likes

Dear all, thank you for your reply.

I set up ERM plugin directly to output channel of my RME to ERM.

I have the setting set to POS. Its really strange as I have Beatstep Pro (DFAM) and Digitakt receiving the same audio-midi signal from Ableton via ERM. After a restart, somehow its working now lol

I am wondering about something else

I think i understand the input latency part as you can see from my screenshot, the beat is close to the 1.2 mark (metronome note), wonder if all of you ERM was able to get it to start exactly on the grid (1) with Ableton upon launching? Or such input latency is normal to you all. I realize no matter how much more - i add to the track delay of ERM plugin, it wouldn’t move forward for the last little bit of space between 1 and the first beat.

Let me know if that is the case for you all, so I can put my head rest on this part haha.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

With the ERM set to POS everything you record will be shifted +delta , where delta = your total audio path latency + any start delay of the Digitakt (e.g., the latter is 2ms on my Rytm).

We have our ERM (and before that, the ACME) set to POS/NEG with a channel delay of -delta. Recordings are exactly on the beat (or within less than 0.1 ms–where we could not be bothered to fine tune further).

Getting this right is especially important when doing punch-in punch-out recording (or recording loops).

4 Likes

with POS/NEG, you would have the count in, then if i want to run VST sequence together with my external gears, maybe I should set ableton to include countin , so that everything starts on the 2nd bar?

Because with POS, I realize the +delta cannot no longer be shifted forward to the 1 mark after certain point, no matter how much -delay I add to the ERM signal. That is a dead zone isnt it? Is this the norm? I dont understand why menu and various youtube video instructs us to put -delay on the plugin channel, but I dont see much shift when I put -delay from -10 up to -100, the first beat still kicks in relatively close to the grid…

I understand this is not too big of an issue as i can rearrange it, but I am puzzled.

With NEG/POS, the - delay adjustment from ERM machine is much more noticeable and workable, whereas for some reason, using - track delay of ERM channel does not shift forward as much.

strangely when set to POS, as Beatstep pro is able to start upon launching from Ableton, but Digitakt is still behind by 1 bar