Digitakt: Early Experimentation

Hi,

I got my Digitakt last week and due to having a week off work Ive been able to get stuck in and start learning how it works.

I’ve found it really enjoyable so far and have had some great “smile on face” moments already playing around with some of the features it has.

The last couple of days have been spent learning how p locking samples work and how the conditional trigs can create random variation into a pattern. One of my big interests is in chopping samples and producing breakbeat based music. With this is mind I sampled a drum break and set to work having fun whilst learning at the same time. The below is the results of my experimentation. A combination of p-lock start points and conditional trigs can create something quite different to the original loop and has a kind of “machine drum solo”. Due to the semi randomness of it all, some parts can sound better than others but I’ve found myself sat for ages just listening to the seemingly endless variations the Digitakt can throw up…

2 Likes

Nice done. I also make this kind of thing. Work well on short melodies sample too.
Also, you can load your break to 3/4 track, and chop each for kick, snare, hat, perc. Then play it live and record it. Also, you can do the same, but recreate the break with the 4 track or more (add some bass or synth), this will have 2 or more sounds on some trig. Then add a bit of overdrive, reverb, delay or what you want, then resample it, and finally make a totally different beat with the chop technique you did. This will sound very breakbeat.