Digitakt + Digitone +?

hello dears,

My current setup is mentioned in below that i want to add a synth to my setup. I’m making calm and mellow beats with an ambient perspective and looking for a synth which can be sound like bright and smooth pads. Nowadays my brain has a crush on microkorg and minilogue but can’t decide yet enabling to not know much things about synths. I’m here to hear your suggestions to solve my blurred thoughts. Thanks in advance!

My Current Setup:

Digitakt
Digitone
Arturia Keystep
Ableton

Edited 17.10.2019
I just want to say that this community is really awesome and friendly. Thanks for all recommendations and new thoughts. You are amazing!

1 Like

The synth I use for that kind of thing is a Nord Lead A1.

On the surface it’s such a simple synth but surprisingly flexible. Almost impossible to get a bad sound out of it. 4 part multitimbral too, which is perfect for sequencing with either Digitakt or Digitone.

1 Like

Hydrasynth

4 Likes

do you design your own sounds or do you usually use the sounds that come with the synth?

1 Like

Novation Peak can do both bright and smooth Pads and has for beginners a brilliant easy to use user Interface.

2 Likes

I think the digitone can do wonderful pad sounds, so I don’t think you need a new synth for that. You can even use your digitakts midi LFOs to do some nice and slow parameter sweeps for the digitones synth tracks.

3 Likes

that’s my main use of the DN

4 Likes

Maybe add an analogue Bass Synth? Moog Minitaur, Bass Station 2?

1 Like

Do you plan to add a mixer or multi input interface for ableton ?

Organelle: It can be really everything you need. FX Unit, Bass Machine, Sampler or everything at combined with Orac.

1 Like

thanks for suggestion im gonna look at it

mostly designing but also i have lots of sound and samples that downloaded for years

You are right digitone is my favorite synth yet but pad and bright sounds are more complex. I was trying to say that simple ones. But as i told you that you are right maybe i can look around for some pedals maybe.

When I have a big place, definetly i will

I think they both sound amazing through the Analog Heat.

2 Likes

If you are looking for anything with intense analogue vibe you should definitely checkout the Sequential Prophet REV2 (Desktop Module) or the OB-6 (Desktop Module) for that.

I own both and they are - from my experience - a perfect companion to the Elektrons.

1 Like

So if you are using overbridge you’ve got 4 audio inputs ( 2 with digitone , 2 digitakt )

I’d go with something
Multitimbral
Multiple outs
Usable built in fx

Probably nord4r or nord A1 ,

2 Likes

If you add a synth, you will likely need a USB hub (check MIO4) and a mixer :slight_smile:
Not a bad thing per se, just saying. Peak is really nice, offering both digital and analog flavors, and hands-on controls !

One option could be an Octatrack to sample DN on the fly, add FX, mix your 2 machines + OT stems…
2 stereo ins, 2 stereo outs, and this way you can keep a small rig.

1 Like

Can I connect a new synth without a mixer or usb hub?

Let’s say i want to add a peak to my setup. How should i manage this setup?

You can do this, but it will be IMO a bit clumsy (think chain of audio out in audio in, and a chain of MIDI thru to MIDI in).

This can make it difficult (or impossible) to handle specific MIDI redirection (e.g. if you don’t want Keystep to start DT but start DN only). But worst will be dealing with audio (e.g. gain staging, audio quality, or multitrack recording).

I would really think about this if I were in your position.
Not that it’s something to be afraid of. A USB hub must be around 100€, a decent mixer a few hundred euros…
Choose good quality gear, and you’re done for a long time in such area.