Digitakt/Digitone Protip: Playing a pattern 4 times and having a trig only fire the first three times

Apologies if this trick has already been posted elsewhere, or is obvious to some people… However, I’ve never seen it mentioned before and it was not obvious to me.

Often, it is desirable to play a pattern 4 times in a row, while having some notes only trigger the first 3 times, because there is transitional stuff the fourth time around in which these notes doesn’t belong (or analogously, 7 out of 8 repeats, etc.) Here is a trick for accomplishing this behavior:

At the beginning of the track in question (or at least right before the trigs you wish to mute on the fourth go-around) create a trig at minimum velocity that has the trig condition set to “4:4” so that it only plays the fourth time in the pattern repeat (though it will be silent.)

Then, for all subsequent trigs, set the trig condition to “NOT PRE” (i.e. “PRE” with the line on top). These note will now play on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd repeat of the pattern, but not the 4th repeat.

8 Likes

I hadn’t thought about that, nice tip.

Read it somewhere*…but thanks for reminder!
It works with any Elektron with TRC.

*I found, didn’t remember :smile: :
OT TRig Conditions (TRC) thread

I also shared this tip somewhere a while ago :nerd_face:
Btw: instead of lowering the value, you can just turn it into a trigless trig (yellow)
This makes it a bit faster IMO

1 Like

Ah yes, an earlier post of the same idea :+1:

1 Like