Digitakt + Digitone (+ Keystep) + Octatrack Connectivity (Solved)

Somewhat new to this gear and MIDI in general. I’ve watched countless tutorials, taken notes, referenced the manual, and worked a bit with each device on its own / alone, however now I’m trying to connect all 3 with a Keystep connected to the Digitone. How would I go about doing that?

I know that there are different configurations for different purposes, but I’m grasping at the seams now because I keep messing with the MIDI cables, MIDI channels, etc. I would like to try two setups, or at least know how to configure 2 setups.

1. Digitakt as the Master clock, as the pattern lengths can vary which would make the OT as the Master a bit of a pitfall.

2. OT as the Master clock, which seems good for four on the floor type stuff.

With both of these setups, I would like to incorporate the Keystep, to play the DN tracks/patches, and perhaps utilize the arpeggiator in conjuction with the DN. I have a slight idea how to do that, but don’t I compromise the MIDI in of the DN if I am sending clock to the DN from the DT? Would it be better to have the Digitakt go to the MIDI Thru of the Digitone?

Sorry for the elementary question. I’ll literally pay someone to walk me through this step by step. For reference, here’s what I’m working with thus far:

OT Out — DT In, DT Out — DN In

OT Transport SEND and RECEIVE both on.

DT Clock SEND and RECEIVE both on.

DN Clock RECEIVE and PROG CHANGE both on.

OT Auto Channel - Channel 11

DT Tracks 1-8 - Channels 1-8 — DT Auto Channel - Channel 1

DN Track Channel 1-4 - Channels 9-12 — DN MIDI Track Channels 1-4 - Channels 13-16 — DN Auto Channel - Channel 1.

Hey, you seem to have a good understanding of all this stuff! I only own the Digitakt but I guess the 3 boxes have the same MIDI behaviors (more or less). Also I’m no MIDI expert but anyway, here is what I would suggest :

You should put the Keystep as the first element of your chain so that the data from the keyboard can be passed along. Let’s say we go with the “Digitakt as the master” scenario, connect the MIDI Out of the Keystep to the MIDI In of the Digitakt. Set the Keystep to send data on the Channel 16 (for example), set one the Digitakt MIDI track to receive on this channel, and set this same track to be sending data on Channel 1. Now the notes from the Keystep will be instantly forwarded to the Digitakt MIDI Out on Channel 1. Connect this Out port to the Digitone and now your Keystep should be controlling the Digitone active track (since you mentioned Auto-Channel was the Channel 1). Connect the Digitone Thru port to the Octatrack MIDI In port and it will receive the exact same data as the Digitone. Just be sure that the Channel 1 is not used on the Octatrack.

Does that make sense? I’m pretty sure this could work, but is there any feature you would lose with this setup maybe?

5 Likes

I think it’s probably more my inexperience, but you lost me at "Set the Keystep to send data on the Channel 16. Are you talking about changing the Keystep MIDI Channel from Auto (using Arturia’s MIDI Control Center) to Channel 16? How do I set the Digitakt MIDI track to receive, and how do I set that track to send data on Channel 1?

I set up the MIDI routing the way you mentioned, and turned on PROG Ch SEND and RECEIVE on the DT both on.

Changing the MIDI channel on which the Keystep sends its data is performed by holding the SHIFT button and press one of the keys labelled 1 - 16.

2 Likes

Sweet. Done!

1 Like

Do you know what to do after that?

i suggest, to split up your goals.

first, take the keystep out of the setup for now. (will make it easier, we add it later)

also a little drawing with the connecting lines (cables and midi ports) can help you.

you have to decide, which box should be midi master. this will send pattern changes, tempo sync and play and so on…

since all 3 boxes also have a midi thru, they are interchangeable

for example: (2 midi cables)
ot midi out > dn midi in
dn midi thru > dt midi in

ot
clock send on, program change send on

dn
clock receive on, programm change receive on

dt
same as dn
(it receives sync and program change from ot, because dn midi thru mirrors dn midi in)

on all 3 devices you have to set the program change channel to the same (eg. chnnel 16) the clock and sync messages are global and dont need a specific channel…

you should now be able to hit play on ot and the other two should start and be in sync

also when you change a pattern on the ot the other two should follow (also change pattern accordingly)

does this work for you?

1 Like

Yes, that worked!!! Thank you so much! Now how do I incorporate the Keystep?

1 Like

for this it is important, to know about the auto channel on the elektron devices:

midicontroller (keystep) played on this auto channel is sending midi to whichever track is selected (on the given machine)

so for example

ot
auto channel 1,
midi track 2 - midi channel 2
midi track 3 - midi channel 3
all other channels off, except program change channel 16

dn
auto channel 2, all other channels off, except program change channel 16

dt
auto channel 3, all other channels off, except program change channel 16

now you should be able to play the selected track of ot via keystep channel 1

the dn from ot midi channel 2

the dt via ot midi channel 3

(all via keystep channel 1)

keystep midi out will be connected to octatrack midi in

on keystep:
make sure that it doesent send clock. (little dip switches on the back probably)

this is only one possible method, but lets see if it works for you…

2 Likes

I’ve tried to follow your instructions to a tee, but I still can’t get it to work I don’t think.

Certain keys on the Keystep cause track buttons on the Octatrack to flash, and the first 3 keys of the keystep cause Triggers 14 - 15 - 16 to trigger on the OT. Other than that nothing is happening. I haven’t really changed any other settings, but I still can’t control the Digitone it seems. Not sure if I’m missing something, or…

EDIT: It seems like I’ve definitely done something with the Digitone, because after pressing a bunch of keys my sequence is completely different lol. But the thing is, I can’t see or hear anything I’m doing. When I’d press keys on the Keystep, I wasn’t getting any noise from the DN. But when I go to the DN’s sequencer / record mode, everything is drastically different. Different notes in different spots, all 4 tracks being used with random notes across the sequence. How can I make sense of this? I can’t hear what I’m doing, but clearly something is happening.

seems you are on a low octave on your keystep (the elektron boxes trigger all tracks sequentially on the lowest octave on all midi channels (i think c0)

so try a higher octave on keystep

you should be able to play samples chromatically on ot (from keystep)

Ok, I’ll try that when I get home and give you an update.

Yep, the octaves didn’t seem to change much. They started performing random functions like muting an OT track, starting sample record on the OT, strange stuff like that. Not really sure where to go from here.

ok, seems like the octatrack (project) is doing something with midi signals already. since i dont own an ot, i am not that familiar with it. maybe try a new fresh project on ot and see, if this changes anything. also make sure, to not have the devices connected to usb midi (computer) to rule out strange effects from that

if not, lets switch things up a little.

basically interchange ot with dn.

so dn will be midi master and send clock and program change

dn midi out > ot midi in
ot midi thru > dt midi in
later:
keystep midi out to dn midi in

dn:
auto channel 1
programm change channel 16
midi track 2 - midi channel 2
midi track 3 - midi channel 3
all other midi channels off for now
clock / transport send on, receive off
programm change send on, receive off

ot
auto channel 2
clock/transport receive on, send off
program change receive on, send off

dt
auto channel 3
clock/transport receive on, send off
program change receive on, send off

with this sync and pattern change should work as before, just with dn as master instead of ot

if this is working, try to connect keystep to dn

you should be able to play the selected dn track from keystep channel one (remember: not the low(est) octave :slight_smile:)

then you select midi track 2 on dn

at the SYN1 page of this track you have to click the first encoder (CHAN) and select midi channel 2 by turning it (this sets the output midi channel of this track to ch2, which is ot autochannel)

you should be able to play ot via keystep channel 1 (as long as midi track 2 on dn is active/selected)

repeat the same for DT (on dn)
midi track 3 output of dn should be set to midi channel 3

bonus: (if the other stuff works :wink:)

no matter on which track you are on dn, for example synth track 3, you should be able to play ot, if you switch keystep to midi channel 2 (and dt on channel 3)

to play dn autochannel again, switch keystep back to ch1

3 Likes

Why not using DN as master? It keeps the BPM linked to the pattern so maybe cn be useful.

yes, in my last post i also suggested this… :+1:

Ooops!

The OT is quite special when it comes to receiving MIDI notes. Only a small range of MIDI notes will really produce a (pitched) sound (that’s because it can only transpose up and down an octave).

All other MIDI notes will trigger different functions (like active track up/down, start/stop recording etc.pp.).

Please check chapter C.1 NOTE MAPPING in the manual (page 136) to see which note triggers what.

3 Likes

I don’t have the OT, but in my setup, for simplicity, I use the DN as the master, into the DT MIDI In, then the DT MIDI Thru goes out to my Circuit Mono Station. This leaves the MIDI In on the DN open for my Keystep.

I know it seems odd to NOT have the drum sequencer as the master, but because the DN shares so much in terms of sequencer architecture with the DT, it doesn’t seem to make much difference in my setup, other than with the DN as master, I have that MIDI In port open for live playing.

This is the setup, although in the picture, the MIDI Thru of the DT has not yet been plugged into the Circuit Mono Station.

1 Like

This worked :grin: thank you so much!

1 Like