Digitakt + Digitone -Do I need a mixer?

@LesVolga
You use two USB cables and two instances of Overbridge.

2 Likes

Dave Mechā€™s workflow looks interesting, using the xone mixer which has a looping function, useful for live performances

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEkC-kD3fpU

thanks! I have been only doubting, if they can run together at a time in Ableton

One of the great things about Overbridge is that it completely frees up the inputs of your audio interface for other synths. The Elektron boxes donā€™t need the jack outputs connected at all, only via USB.

1 Like

Just buy an octatrack now. This shit is addicting.

2 Likes

thatā€™s really cool. I think I will go for experimenting with that USB feature this weekend!
thanks buddy! :}

1 Like

each with one usb cable. overbridge has plugins for both and can handle both at once.

3 Likes

This is amazing! Never thought it will be so simple =)) Thanks bud!

Donā€™t have that amount of money now =(

if you have DN+DT it is nice to have a OT. I am using that setup. But to be honest. It gets convoluted. Personally I cannot handle more than two devices anyways. It is a nice mixer though ā€“ too pricey for only that purpose maybe.

Only DN+DT and be able use a DAW is priceless for arranging or adding FX. I might add some cheap/tiny mixer though (like the ROLLS) to incorperate more synths which would then go into the DN.

I have DN as master. Then DN main out left into DT left in. Then DT left out into into DN left in.

That way, I can resample DT via DN master fx. I can resample from Daw into DN and I can resample DT straight into via its master fx or not. Then when Iā€™m using Daw it all still works and everything goes through OB. I use the headphone out with a split cable or just cans.

I do wish DT had input similar to DN.
Currently I have stereo outs from DT -> DN, which is nice for the effects etc.
It would be nice to be able to do DN->DT instead though and use the compressor, then use the DN inputs for 2 mono synths!
2 synths, DT+DN, completely dawless, no mixer required. Would be great!

Yeah that compressor isnā€™t too bad. At the same time itā€™s a good excuse to buy an OTO Boum.

Yes, worst design decision ever made. I still
hope it can be fixed with a new FW

Wait so u cannot side chain DN -> DT in master mixer?

Sorry to necro this older thread, but I am searching for answers to this similar questionā€¦
I am trying to get my ā€œlive setupā€ going and right now its just a synth and a Model:Cycles.
I have neither Digitakt or Digitone but I was looking at getting Digitakt when I realized you can route audio through it like a mixer.
Now Iā€™m thinking I can replace the Cycles with the Digitakt and route my synth through it to use it like a combo of drum machine and mixer for live performance.
However Iā€™m a bit confused from reading stuff online, would the Digitone be better as a mixer, or are they equal? Thanks.

They are roughly equal in that regard. Main difference is with Digitone you can add Chorus and itā€™s master overdrive to your other synth coming in, and with Digitakt you can run your other synth through the master compressor. Otherwise, both can do 1 stereo or 2 mono inputs with volume and pan, and you can use the delay and reverb sends on them as well.

I do this with Digitakt and itā€™s great!

Edit: Added last bit of info from @your_lamp for easy reference later.

2 Likes

Perfect, thanks.

One small addition to @chr1sdangerā€™s nice explanation here ā€” the Digitone also lets you apply its Master Overdrive to the incoming audio.

2 Likes

Just my 2 cents, DT+DN (or whatever else) serial connection combo is more elegant in its utilitarian form, but parallel routing through a mixer gives you more hands-on control to create cross-fades between units and make EQ tweaks on the fly without any menu diving. You can also try independent external effect loops with mixer, great for live performance.

2 Likes