Digitakt + Digitone case on the cheap

I had been using this Ridgid case with custom cut foam for my MPC Live:

https://www.ridgid.com/my/en/pro-tool-top-organizer

But I sold the Live because, well, Elektron. :smiley:

I still have the case and intend to eventually cut some new custom foam inserts for the Digitakt/Digitone combo. I might even be able to fit my Arturia Keystep if I’m clever.

However, I have to do a road trip with the DT/DN and haven’t had time to cut those inserts, so something just hit me today: why not try the foam packing ends that were in the original Elektron product boxes? Will they fit and will the case close?

YES!!!

Turned sideways, both the DT and DN fit PERFECTLY in the case with no movement to speak of when the lid is closed. There’s also about an inch remaining on one end that I put in a foam insert to keep everything stable, but the fit is snug enough that I don’t expect much movement.

I also super-glued the broken/wobbly bits of the Elektron foam inserts so they will last longer.

Would I put it in baggage claim? No, but I never do that anyway, even with good foam inserts. But until I get some custom inserts cut, this reuse of the Elektron packing materials will do.

EDIT: Aha! I flipped the Elektron inserts so the the “tall” side is down, and now my Arturia Keystep fits perfectly underneath the two Elektrons.

Will post a picture shortly.

3 Likes

Here are the photos, first with just the Keystep, then packed with all three (minus the small foam insert on the right).

Note that I put in small hard foam lifts on the left side case to keep the bottom of the Digitakt from touching the knobs of the Keystep. I may put them on the right as well because they help lock in the Keystep and also really push the top of the Elektron foam solid against the top of the case when it is closed.

6 Likes

Hey friend,

really nice tip you gave here. I’m actually lookin for a cheap case where i wouldnt have to take my DT/DN out of it. Kind of a plug and play especially cause im currently preparing a live with both of my babies. And, you know, raves…

Anyway have you tried to find this kind of case?

cheers

1 Like

I have been wanting a case that intergrates the digitakt and digitone, with internal cable routing. Basically just a box that is a unified combo of digitakt and digitone. I haven’t found anything quite like that, let me know if you do.

2 Likes

i actually did on an other topic.

Its the dave mech solution :stuck_out_tongue:

its quite cheap and fits quite good. You need to adjust with the foam inside. an other good one is to mesure and make it on thomann. But you’ll spend at least 100 euros.

https://www.getinthemix.com/accessories/equipment-cases-bags/dj-pa-cases/gc-mdjc.htm

I found a good alternative : https://www.thomann.de/fr/magma_carry_lite_dj_case_xxl.htm

i checked it twice, it fits good for the two machines. I think gonna buy this one.

Cheers

i make this case+ stand in one product and i hope you like it Elektron Dual Case Stand Side for Digitakt / Digitone / - Etsy Sweden

3 Likes

It looks beautiful!

Was wondering if anyone else tried out the magma case Jacquie 54 found ?