Digitakt available for pre-ordering

Exactly

Every time before being critical, step to the other side and try to work out why it may be so, it makes so much more sense … there’s always a reason, it just takes imagination and a will to look beyond your own expectations

The device is not for me, but i’d have high expectations based on Elektron’s progress that the workflow is a hoot, exactly what you need to free up the creativity

If there’s not enough info to buy yet, then wait until there is … wait for the feedback, reviews etc … better yet, try it ! there can’t be a single person who’s berating Elektron over this who isn’t sat behind at least one drum machine already, it probably won’t be long to wait even after the first batch, i’d imagine they’ll be focussing on making these for a while

5 Likes

I took a look at that, but you know what, I´m really satisfied with my gear (being an MBP15 with LogicX, a cassette deck, some plug ins and an OT basically)!
I don´t need that much, I try to get the maximum out of that.
But I understand the high opinion most people have about those machines.

1 Like

This!

1 Like

What do you do with the cassette deck?

Yeah, I hear ya. I’ve got 4 Elektrons and am stressed out(but elated). I’d narrow down, but each one has a great flavor that I’d be sad to let go of.

1 Like

Resampling, but I also have a lot of old cassettes, previously owned by the now deceased father of my half sister, sometimes its more remembering him.
He had a very good taste in music and I sample from these cassettes, its all very slow and pitched to wherever because of aging and stuff… But I really really love the sound. The heights on old tape are just… inspiring.

1 Like

Its better not every machine makes you lust for it, otherwise you will go broke quickly, not enjoy or use your current gear as much as you should, or stop considering something else from other brands.

3 Likes

What I like best about this thread, is that the negativity on here, is like the positivity in other forums!

What a great community. Even when we aren’t happy, it’s still done in a nice way

X

12 Likes

They were “aiming for $650,” which signaled to me this would be more money right off the bat, just how that’s worded. Also, I read some places saying it’d be 650 euros, and being in America that would still put me over $650. Little disappointed about the OB announcement, but I could live without it as I’ve been doing. Preordered. I’ll let everyone know if it sucks :joy:

1 Like

Thinking further on the hardware side of things and specs of the DT, for me personally I don’t want it to be an Octatrack or MPC Live, quite the opposite in fact:

Simple, fast and fun sampling, does not need tons of mangling options as I have OT for that.

Super fast, sometimes limited but ultimately very musical and inspiring Elektron sequencer.

Dedicated button per function or close to it user interface, don’t make me brain when I want to flow.

Decent sound quality and simple and fast to add new sounds.

Good quality fx, we know Elektron are capable of delivering these.

Midi sequencer with proper handling of note lengths for say broken chords, and ability to overlap notes for glide on monophonic synths.

Honestly, if it does all of the above then I’m in, I won’t be selling my OT and it won’t affect my decision to buy or not buy a MPC live.

As far as Overbridge is concerned personally I don’t care for it, so I have no opinion about the pricing strategy on that, although what has not been made clear as far as I can tell is whether owners of A4/AR will need to purchase the premium version if buying the DT.

I guess if I was really into Overbridge and saw the value in it then paying for it would not be a huge barrier - the cost seems modest compared to say Ableton etc no? Had Elektron made Overbridge a paid app from the start then maybe they would not be getting flak for this, fuck knows. As stated I don’t really care about Overbridge and would prefer that Elektron stuck to hardware, but whatever.

6 Likes

Somewhere in this thread (or the other) a Staff Member from Elektron stated that A4/AR/AH Users will continue to get full OB Development for free. Its also mentioned on the Website that OB Premium is Digitakt only.

1 Like

Ok, Elektron - to the point:

Overbridge Premium Highlights

Fully integrate Digitakt with DAW environments
Control Digitakt with a dedicated VST/AU plugin interface
Use Digitakt as a 2 in/2 out sound card (CoreAudio/ASIO/WDM)
Stream the eight internal tracks to separate DAW tracks (24 bit/48 kHz)
Recall all Digitakt settings when loading a DAW project
Plus all features of Overbridge Basic

Overbridge Basic Highlights

Sample manager/librarian functionality
MIDI over USB
Digitakt sequencer/DAW sync
Computer screen visualization of Digitakt parameters
**Audio streaming of Main outs over USB (time limited sessions)**

Could you AT LEAST tell us how long this time Limit is? And could you tell me if i can still record the Stereo Input with Basic OB functionality? So much shadow around the functions here … i dont like that!!!

1 Like

So if you already own an Elektron Analog machine then will the DT not have the limitations in Overbridge?

Is that correct?

If so then what is the problem?

I might be misunderstanding here, as I have never used Overbridge but it seems if indeed this is correct then it seems reasonable - buy a premium price Elektron get full version, buy cheaper product without owning premium product and pay for full version of Overbridge if you want it.

Or maybe I’m missing the point (entirely possible/probable!)

I think it merely means your A4/AK/AR/AH OB (a lot of acronyms there!) will not be hindered, you’d still need to purchase premium for DT

1 Like

No (as Ryan stated above), they all rely on different VSTs that exploit the OB tech - there’s also an OB front end app, but that’s not where the magic is

The accompanying sample upload app will be a further utility (for AR and DT)

2 Likes

My 2 cents : what makes a great instrument is the workflow more than the functionalities.
Remove OT Xfader and you definitely have another machine.

As we know absolutely nothing about what is in the box, it’s very possible that angry people here will end love playing with this small piece of gear.

In the end, moaning now is taking the risk to repeat or contradict oneself once DT is out.

Let’s not boil too much about what is still only words, and let’s play music with the awesome stuff we have already, I say :smile:

8 Likes

Nope, it will have those limitations regardless of how many Elektron machines you already own. Elektron does not seem to care about that. You want full OB Functionality with the DT you have to go Premium.

It is even likely (i at least assume it) that they might introduce OB Premium/Standard on AR/A4/AH in a few months/years too. Depending on how well Premium will sell for the DT i guess. But this is only my guess, i may be wrong. But i was already right as i stated that they’ve discontinued the Machinedrum - 3 years before the official announcement was made :wink: Think like a businessman and think about how Sales can be generated. Doing the math is pretty simple now!

I hope this is a sign of rebuilding from the ground up where we will someday have our OT2 but with the workflow ease of the DT

2 Likes

I really hope that every single parameter can be plocked, particularly start/end regions, that coupled with retrig and prob will make it quite tempting. Could get pretty granular then, possibly old school d’n’b timestretch with careful lfo manipulation of strt or again plocks. Scanning through a sample.
Shame about slicing though, I had visions of well thought out chains on every track with rndm lfo to slice for some nutty breaks and bleeps, with the odd locked step for a framework. I suppose with sample lock lfo’d there is a workaround of sorts.
A nice trick would be the ability to internally route the midi to the internal channels without cabling.

This dripping of info sporadically is in effect evaporating enthusiasm as it shifts gears like having a paper bag on your head, you calm down and lower your expectations of the device whereas I usually like to ramp up my enthusiasm towards purchase.

I have no intention to use OB, had the A4 and AR sometime ago and that integration didn’t interest me but I can understand users being suspicious or unhappy about a tier system, justified economically or strategically…

Anyway, just pre order from a shop on an interest free credit card, couple of payments before it’s released and then send it back if it doesn’t work for you.
Bollocks to it!

The most anticipated user manual of all time!

1 Like

Let’s see if they come up with future DT OS update’s with paying upgrades for new machine engine’s…

I don’t think they’d go THAT far

1 Like