Digitakt available for pre-ordering

It’s a classic case of rushing to announce something early @NAMM and not having all the answers. If they said, “the price is unknown and … OB support is as yet undecided” people wouldn’t be crying. At least that is my take.

2 Likes

Owning an Access Virus TI I have always considered that Virus Control (the Access version of OB) was actually the Achilles heel of the Virus. Not because of problems using it (it has always worked well for me) but because it allows direct comparison of hardware to VST instruments.

IMHO the Virus can easily hold its ground against a single VST, but for the price of even a second hand Snow you can buy a number of VST instruments, which together will outperform the Virus.

Having owned an A4, I saw the same issue and if anything it was worse because A4s are more expensive, OB gives a higher CPU hit than Virus Control and there are no per channel FX. Plus of course inside a DAW why would you want to use the Elektron sequencer?

1 Like

You mean OB Premium fee. Elektron is starting to sound and look like T-mobile or something

1 Like

Wait ! Without a computer and a DAW you wouldn’t go far with VSTs… Why not putting these in the equation?
:wink:

Having OT, I’m confident I’ll be stronger than my GAS on this one.
But 3 years ago, with Shruthi+Volcas+Pocket operators I would have started with a DT, no doubt.

if they’d stuck to the original €650 price id have pre-ordered one already. been gassing for the DT for months. as soon as they posted about the pre-order I jumped on the link and had one in the cart, only to then be like oh… this aint 650 no moar :frowning:
[emptys cart, closes tab and has a little cry]

1 Like

I think you are misunderstanding my point.

I just don’t think it is particularly advantageous for hardware devices to have the equivalent of OB (an editor/librarian would suffice) because when I work ITB I find that using VSTs is easier and just as satisfactory as trying to incorporate any of my hardware synths and the price of VSTs is not prohibitive.

And remember you will need a computer and a DAW to be able to take advantage of OB, so do you want to put that in the equation when considering the price of DT?

has anyone seen one in use yet?

1 Like

I agree with a number of people regarding the idea that the DT should be thought of as a more immediate and simple. Basically a good companion piece to any of the larger machines (except maybe the AR).

To me there’s no comparison to the MPC Live. Different price, different size, way different physical interface . . .

One thing that has me definitely happy about the DT: Build quality. If I really needed/wanted a compact drum machine, I’d choose the DT over the TR 09 or TR8 any day based on build quality, not to mention other features.
OB premium is about the cost of a pocket operator, but way more useful to me in the long run (imagining my future self using either).

2 Likes

Bax shop still offers this Digitakt for 650 euro

1 Like

maybe the new price is the recommended price and this is what dealers can make of it

ok Thomann in Germany takes € 777,–

No ones arguing with that :wink: Looks like a decent little box. But at THAT price some extra LFO/FX/Memory/Connectivity/Slicing/Timestrech/stereo samples/drag and drop without need for extra software/some kind of scenes or snapshots or macros etc all seem like a reasonable expectation in 2017, and it wouldn’t have made it any less immediate/simple to use. Just deeper options under the hood for those people wanting them…

The functionality of this is like what an ‘entry level’ Elektron box might have looked like 5 years ago when OT dropped. Not against current/looming alternatives.

Im always hesitant even criticising Elektron on this forum, the cult is deep :wink: Im a big fan of OT and AK. But this looks such a contrived step. Feels totally business motivated without ANY ‘oh yeah, let’s put this in there as well, that’ll blow people’s minds!!’. Would be glad to be proven wrong when videos appear tho…

Has anyone found out if it even has internal resampling yet?

Almost same price as each other in UK. Ballpark(ish) same size units. Pads can be used as steps/trigs on mpc in step sequencer mode. Pretty inevitable/valid to compare them?

1 Like

Good points @Callofthevoid. Given what we know, the DT could be argued to be a bit pricey comparatively. I imagine that there are many details about to be released. Though, it sounds like no slicing (bummer!) and no timestretch (not a big deal to me for one-shot drum sounds, and I generally turn timestretch off on the OT for this).

I understand there’s a culture here in this forum that can go to extremes for or against what Elektron does, but I generally operate under the assumption that we’re all reasonable people where it matters. I agree, this is the most “commercial” product that Elektron has released, and maybe none of the features on the DT will blow peoples’ minds. But I’m still a proponent of the idea that innovation in music technology can even be a group of features that incorporate existing tech but do it in a particularly useful/high quality way. I seek innovation in the music I make rather than the tech I use, but I understand that the industry seems to be driven by what’s the latest, hottest, newest, etc. We’re all neophiles to some degree, that’s just the way humans are wired.

Regarding internal resampling? I haven’t heard, but I’d like to know as well :wink:

2 Likes

We all know that Elektron always add “things” in the timeline… of a product. Don’t forget that, it’s something very nice at Elektron and I really think you can’t find that in other brand not the way Elektron gives us… and it’s always very nice new improvements, nice new additions (for free).

So at each launch there’s some people complain based on un-complete specifications, even to get in hands the product. And I really think it’s a bad joke to act like that. So you can call me a “fanboy” which I don’t think honestly I am… But I remember perfectly few folks here say WTF on Analog HEAT and play around for hours (few month after the release) and revised there judgment on it.

But the evil is done, there are people who form an opinion on the wind! And sorry but criticize the device without trying it several hours and well it’s wind !

At least, it should be fair to have made another thread rather to discuss negatively on the launch post. I know it’s a current way to express themselves this day… but it’s not fair to me to act like that on a new product announcement. Anyway now it’s done… it’s done.

I know there’s people who disagree but I don’t care. it’s like people who complain on a restaurant on trip advisor without to put one times their foot inside the place… You do not realize the harm it can do. :confused:
(But we all make mistakes, me too…)

1 Like

I admit, I’m only considering U.S. prices. In Europe and U.K. and especially Australia it sounds like a different story and I totally get the comparison there. The MPC looks like an amazing machine, but the size just kills it for me. So, I admit that’s my personal bias: I’d take a good laptop running Ableton over the MPC Live because I’ve come to realise that big finger drumming pads (even if used for other tasks) are not what I seek in a piece of gear. And I already know and love Ableton, that helps. It’s an amazing time to be alive with all these tools.

1 Like

Yeah tbh im not a fanboy of anything because noone can ‘do no wrong’ in my eyes. Companies no matter how cool, amzing and honest ( or the opposite ) dont make products that i desire purely because of the company that made them.
Expectations - hold them too high, or indeed at all, and you are setting yourself up for disappointment. It is what it is. We all have features that we would like in new equipment but bear in mind - even with the unpopular ( in retrospect small ) price hike and OB caper, this looks like a cool machine at what i think is a reasonable price in this day and age.
Shit, i spent twice that on a weekend getting on it. I had nothing to show but a shitty comedown and i still didnt complain. Its all relative. Shit, id love a machine that had all the features i want and is a poece of piss to use and costs a fiver. Shit aint gonna happen.
Research, design, programming, sourcing etc. Fuck me give the guys a break. Theyre bringing something to the market that is a gamble for a company that has always been in the ‘boutique’ sector, and if it brings them profit to make more amazing gear then gokd luck to them.
Hell, they deserve a good life just for bringing me the joy they have through their instruments.
My opinion is worth shit but ill just say - get it in perspective

4 Likes

Yeah if the timeline thing is true it could turn out to be way more interesting to me than it seems atm :slight_smile: for now tho we’re here, so I’ll wait before I get hyped…

Just would have been cool to have seen them make it unique in their range by ADDING drum machine relevant features. Rather than taking a bunch of them away.

Like they could have added Sample layer, round Robin, kits, digital drum synthesis etc. All drum machine focused features. As well as keeping some of the sampling staple features from OT (at least slicing + resampling).

I don’t have the space/money to buy/own every single Elektron box, just to have all bases covered and it seems like they slyly cripple/add stuff in the hope that that’s what customers’ gas will force themselves to do…

Seems like a transitional stage for Elektron atm tho, new boxes on horizon etc, and maybe when the dust settles things might look far less cynical. Like if from now on all their boxes have midi sequencing with conditional trigs etc that would make me far less sceptical. But right now it seems like half the design motivation is what NOT to include…

Anyway, I’m not as fussed/negative on it as I probably seem :wink: Just idle chatter. I’m pretty happy with my current setup and I’m sure DT will get sales elsewhere. I won’t post about DT again, don’t wanna darken the place up too much :wink: apologies!

1 Like

You not really a target to me @Callofthevoid , I react… to those who complain here man. [ thinking at loud ]

1 Like

Not all in the same boat where we can spunk £1400 on a binge tho :wink: Or buy every single bit of gear that does couple of things we like. I got limited funds, 3 kids and zero space. Perspective isn’t universal :wink:

2 Likes

Sure that’s part of the life… equality not existing. same problem for me. But that’s not the price of gear who make the good music, thanks for that !

1 Like