Digitakt as "the brain" to your setup

My DT is scheduled for delivery today - very excited!

The next decision I have is how best to incorporate it into my setup. I have a MM, OT, O-coast, micro brute and an eventide H9. I’m tempted to put the OT away and just focus on using the DT and sample into it…

1 Like

Dt can sequence your Ocoast, Mirobrute and a few tracks on the MnM. Use the OT as a performance mixer. Two mono tracks from the Ocoast and Micro go into the the A & B inputs of the OT then the DT go into the C & D inputs. Have the MnM go into the DT. Might be fun.

All of that, but I say Run DT through MM on its way to OT C/D.
MM is a great FX processor with 3 more LFOs on just a single stereo track.

3 Likes

Oh yeah good point.

Hi, new to the forum. Just ordered the DT and can’t wait to get my hands on it :). I’ve been waiting for exactly a machine with this capability.

Question regarding the midi out to in trick: wouldn’t it be possible for Elektron to incorporate this internally in a future update?

Typing this, I realize I could use a midi splitter to still be able to use the midi out for other gear :stuck_out_tongue:

It would be an interesting update for Octatrack too !
Not sure it will happen.
Yes you can use a thru box connected to midi out, and eventually a midi merger to midi in order to mix the signal of another midi gear.

Digitakt will be my Drum Sampler in the studio and to go and also sequence stuff to go via MIDI. But it´s not the center, which still will be Ableton Live with Launchpad Pro. However…the Digitakt will sequence either the new Novation Peak, DSI Prophet 6 Desktop, or Korg MS20M.

It will be the heart of our live setup, sending midi to a Moog Sub37 and a Juno106 that will also be played manually and be the driving force behind drums and percussion ofcourse, next to an small Akai sampler for one-shots and all going thru the MX-1.

For most people, I think it would be difficult having the Digitakt as the brain of your setup when it doesn’t have a song mode, and won’t save pattern chains.

4 Likes

ditto, but i plan on using the DT as a secondary brain alongside the MnM…so MnM’s song mode will do the directing.

2 Likes

Everyone wanting song mode is not registering to me.
I almost always play live by playing loops from pads or keys live. That’s nonstop button mashing, twiddling all while keeping time by hand.
For me, having to hit a few buttons to go to next pattern just seems easy as hell. And anyway, what’s the difference between song mode and a cdj? Is there some major advantage that I’m missing?

4 Likes

I guess if you’re busy with other boxes/Guitar/drums etc so you need it to run a full song by itself, but at some point in the song you plan to drop playing the other gear and do some tweaking…

2 Likes

Fair point.

1 Like

Well, that’s just, like, your opinion man.

Seriously, it’s not jam out one bars. Ive done half hour live sets on only my sp-404 or op-1. And most of my songs 2-4 minutes with multiple loop layers. But I’m not a talented musician who plays multiple instruments.

In any case, for me, the DT is great. If I want song mode then I’ll just hook up my AR. But I can’t see myself using it.

Mostly I’m just tired of seeing the same comment on infinite loop. We get it; there’s no song mode and it makes the box unusable for you. I’m quite sure :3lektron: has seen the request. Let’s wait and see if they add it. If they do, yay!
Meanwhile let’s talk about what we can do instead of what we could do

6 Likes

It has little to do with being a veteran user or not. There are a lot more machines besides Elektron machines that have song mode. It’s just personal preference if you want to use it or not. I never use it as I arrange tracks in a DAW because it offers me way more control. For live I don’t use song mode because it’s offers less freedom than switching patterns on the fly

3 Likes

BUT it doesn’t have it. So that’s the end of it really.

There’s a feature request thread. That seems like a more suitable place for requesting things for the DT.

"some people like to build songs, some don’t "

The world really isn’t this black or white. Like I said, I like to build tracks/songs in a DAW as it offers way more flexibility then any song mode on any machine. But like you say, it’s personal preference. If they end up adding a song mode, fine with me :slight_smile:

I agree though that it has been stated many many times now, so lets move on.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure Simon said somewhere that pattern chain will be a viable replacement for any kind of song mode, so I’m pretty sure Elektron will implement a way to save the chaining soon.

1 Like

Hey there…
I guess the matter has been settled :slight_smile:
Feel free to discuss, but please avoid targeted angry messages, it doesn’t bring much to the subject :slight_smile:

There is a thread about Feature request, song mode should be discussed there IMHO.

4 Likes

Thx :slight_smile: