Digitakt as first device?

Hi guys
Im saving money , i cannot afford right now big elektron machines
digitakt as first device , to learn and see , and after that , add a second synth to sequence
thoughts?

1 Like

First ever hardware? Or first elektron?
Either way I would say no to the former and yes to the latter.
First ever hardware personally I recommend some workhorse poly synth, like a blofeld keyboard or a virus polar or something like that that you can use with your DAW.

1 Like

what if he is less of a keyboard player and more of a groovebox user?
Why cant this device be saved to a daw?

Digitakt can become the first and the last Elektron device if they don’t pay attention.

1 Like

go for it, if you don’t like it sell it and get something else

Go for it
You can use it for drums , make synth noises with samples or waveforms , sequence any new gear you might buy.
Has some very usable fx , good sequencer .
Many of the main principles of using it would work with other boxes (tracks , patterns , sequencing , sampling , loop points etc)

A more straightforward box , and cheaper , might be one of the akai or Korg boxes
They’re quite different boxes though.

Right now as it was just released it seems to have a lot of bugs. I’d give it a little bit of time and check back here in the forum occasionally to see how the progress is going, and when the os reaches stability. I don’t think it will be to fun as your first device if it’s crashing and having issues, I’m pretty confident Elektron will sort it out with some updates though. If your still saving up for it maybe they’ll have it sorted by the time your ready to snatch one. I’ll let others talk about whether it’s a good first hardware unit or not, but I’d hold off a bit if you decide on DT because it seems a bit squirmy at the moment… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m with that.
Don’t know your musical background but an Elektron would not be my FIRST drumcomputer/synth/groovebox/sampler etc. to buy.

Its my first Elektron device, its not a hard curve to learn especially when you got 25 years exp. with samplers. But if this is your first sampler ever, then I say why not, learn it and have fun. Its so popular, you’ll bound to run into tons of tutorials on youtube improving your workflow.

1 Like

Well it’s my advice, that is all. If you don’t like it don’t follow it.

I don’t need to follow it as I wasn’t the one asking for it :slight_smile:I just wanted to hear more of your opinion on why the digitakt might not be a good starting machine in more detail (this is a forum for discussion after all).

If he is a groovebox - sampler type of person, then this would make more sense than a high end keyboard synth. Your advice is of course valid if he is seeking a machine to learn synthesis, but he did not mention that as a requirement in the first post, other than buying a synth later to sequence. He also mentioned he is on a limited budget so a higher end poly synth might be a challenge. The DAW comment, well. Anything can be recorded into a DAW with a suitable audio interface.

I definitely agree with the comments above regarding possibly waiting on the Digitakt until it becomes more stable. This could be frustrating for a first time purchaser.

I think this is an amazing first instrument

I sold my A4, at, ak, maschine
Only have this one, and Ah, but i dont use the heat. Maybe soon…

This machine is relatively simple, much better than competetive tools like from korg, Native Instruments, or whatever.

It can be used as a synth and as a drum computer
I think it is an amazing think to start with

And dont do what many people do
Dont keep on buying
Stay on this for one year
And then… maybe buy a good hardware synth…
Or not…

Too much gear is usually not good for your music and your musical inspiration
Than it is just collecting, as borring as collecting stamps.

ill green calles it ‘deep simplicity’. Thats what it is. Most competitors focus on possibility, not on quality and usability. And users keep on buying toys and have no idea what to do with it.

5 Likes

Well if it is his first ever piece of hardware (not taking interfaces etc into account) how does he know what he is into?

I recommended synths that are either not too steep new (blofeld) or widely available second hand (virus or a nord type synth). And since I am going into detail here I might even add something like a minilogue might be good as well, just I would stay away from smaller keys like on the micro Kong for example.

That way he would get a proper keyboard synth that he can use and get the hands on hardware experience with out drastically changing his workflow using the daw for sequencing. That way he can lear a little now, figure out what he wants from there and see if eventually he would like to add hardware sampling and sequencing to his setup.

That way once he does add more complex gear, he already also has a better idea about integrating the midi stuff with a computer. It can be deceptively complicated for beginners.

Besides a sampler needs to sample, so even something slightly less expensive like the minilogue would really shine with a digitakt since he could eg sample the bass sounds and then sequence chords, increasing the number of timbres available at once from a monotimbral synth.

I would always recommend something bread and butter first and foremost to anyone starting off in hardware rather than anything more specialized like a digitakt.

And yeah, obviously you can track out anything into a daw with an interface, that’s what they are for.

Hope that makes more sense, again just my opinion, you get what you paid for.

2 Likes

Yes, its like Elektron designed it that even though it does not have features you used to from other boxes like an MPC or SP, it does have the tools to create those features you use to. Take mute groups aka choke groups as an example. The Digitakt does not have this feature but you can do it by p-locking sounds within the step sequencer. The machine makes you think really.

Sure, make sense more so now, thanks for the additional context.

3 Likes

I’d say no to DT and save for a 2nd hand A4.
On the basis that this is your first hardware purchase and you need to acquire something you’ll really appreciate over time.
A4, a compact analog workhorse, gives you somewhat unlimited synthesis potential and a keen user could compose their life’s work on it. DT is a luxury good, I’d recommend it as your #2 elektron if you decide not to go for an OT …

I think the ‘unlimited’ makes it not a good idea…
It is so big…
So many possibilities

You will easilly loose overview

A4 is a very easy interface and returns the most impressive sounding audio with little experience - certainly compared to OT and MnM (which are also easy but tend to confuse people who don’t like manuals and take a lot more skill to really sing)

it is an easy interface, but a complex machine
i have seen many people drowning in it…

ok guys
thanks for your help
my musical taste is techno & electro
i was in daws but i want to taste hardware , and want a good start point
thanks again

1 Like