Digitakt and VCV Rack - Midi

Hey guys!

I’m just wondering if anyone could help me up figuring out how to set up the Digitakt via USB to control the standalone version of VCV Rack. Sure, there are midi modules and everything, but I can’t get my head around how to make the best use of the midi tracks from the Digitakt (including LFO and CC’s).

I would like to build up a prebuild synth setup, which I could control and sequence with the Digitakt for evolving sequences/drones etc.

Any chance to control VSTs with other Midi Channels in Ableton at the same time?

Music is anything between industrial “banging” techno, idm-ish with a mystic vibe. Got a Rytm and Digitakt, maybe want to add a Analog Four or Novation Peak. Not enough money for a real Eurorack atm, so I think VCV would be a cool alternative for me until getting the real thing.

I’m also looking for interesting ideas for the midi/cc setup. Would be brilliant to here some of your thoughts!

Thanks!

1 Like

Following is working for me with Digitakt os 1.11beta and Overbridge
To route audio use Audio 16 from RCM modules.
Midi set up is straight forward - use MIDI modules (MIDI 1/MIDI 4/ MIDI CC) :slight_smile:. you can use DT LFO on mod wheel and use to modulate VCV modules.
Make sure you have set up DT to output midi to USB

5 Likes

Thank you really much! :slight_smile: Works perfect.

1 Like

One of the coolest uses of the Digitakt’s MIDI capabilities! Entire worlds to explore.

Not enough money for a real Eurorack atm, so I think VCV would be a cool alternative for me until getting the real thing.

I’ve got a modest Eurorack setup, and while I love it, trust me - if VCV works well on your computer, go deep on it and don’t ever feel like it’s an inferior choice. It’s absolutely incredible and aside from some analog sounds and a few esoteric cool modules that only exist in hardware land, you won’t really be missing much!

(Hell, with the option to use Digitakt for parameter control and sequencing, you’ve got an ideal tactile setup that’s cooler than most people’s actual hardware racks)

4 Likes

It takes up WAY less space, no freakin wire mess, no detuning, overheating, fried circuits, lower power cost, perfect sync, much less damage to your bank account…

Need i go on?

VCV :+1:t5:
Reaktor Blocks :+1:t5:

1 Like

Not usb but I got my OT to control VCV rack through ableton with OT as master and I routed the audio from VCV rack from ableton to my OT from my audio interface. try using a midi cable instead of usb with your audio interface .

1 Like

I use a cheap Behringer UMC404 to send midi into my comp from my OT then run the outs back to the in’s on a thru machine. Or I can plug my op1 into comp via usb and use its keyboard or sequencers to push VCV. SOOOOO much fun

1 Like

Nice that’s basically my VCV rack/OT setup :slight_smile: tho sometimes it hurts real bad to turn virtual knobs so I mapped some of the virtual module knobs to OT midi CCs (some VCV modules don’t have CCs for the knobs you want to control unfortunately) but Atleast has some control over it without using a mouse!

2 Likes