Propellerhead Reason and Elektron gear support

Hello
i am trying a new setup with a digitakt and properllerhead reason. I want to use the digitakt and its sequencer to drive Reason machines. I also want to use each digitack output channel separately to apply effects to it. But when I look at the back of the plugin in reason there are only 7 outputs and the main one. In addition, the sound level of the outputs is lower than the main one and there is no more reverb and delay. Can you help me solve this problem?
thank you !!!

Ps : I put some pictures it may help

Hello,

I don’t use my Digitakt to control Reason so my answer is based on what I figured out this morning. May be incomplete…

• In Preferences -> Control Surface -> Simple Midi In, tick the Elektron Digitakt box.

• Back to the Rack. The Digitakt will appear in the “advanced MIDI Device” section of Hardware Interface Rack.

• Assign each MIDI In 9 to 16 to each Subtractor. (You have to put the instruments first and then assign midi).

• Assign channel 9 to 16 on MIDI tracks 9 to 16 on the Digitakt. You’re all set.

• You can use the CC control from the FLTR and AMP pages on the Digitak Midi Channels by assigning subtitutes (right click on a parameter). P-locks is working but not the LFO, not sure to understand why…

You are going to spend some time on the setup tho…! =)

Yeah… this is something that bothers me and I couldn’t find a way around.

Yeah the Main sounds louder played alone. (Be careful do not play each track PLUS the master at the same time). You can use a Selig Gain… the difference is 10dB.

You mean on the master?
On ther Digitakt, Delay and Reverb sum to the master, they’re not dedicated FXs. So you won’t hear reverb and delay on the individual channels in Reason but only on the master.

I answered in english but if you have more specific questions in french you can PM me.

4 Likes

So I already spoke with Reason Studios and Elektron about this regarding outputs and there seems to be no one taking ownership of it. A VST in Reason can only have a maximum of 16 outputs and because the Digitakt is using stereo outputs (even though each track is mono) you won’t be able to get all individual outs. Frustrating at best.

1 Like

Thank you for answering me ! It’s clear now

1 Like

If Elektron gave the option to expose each track as mono (because they are mono) then this wouldn’t be an issue… I don’t foresee this being resolved any time soon.

1 Like

Hi!

Thank you so much for this. I had no idea I could use it like this. I had wondered and asked at the reason forum but no-one told me this; tried it and it works like a charm. Brilliant!

1 Like

I gave up on reason and got ableton for working with my elektrons. I did a video on it early in the beta program for overbridge and I could never get reliable performance out of reason.

1 Like

Yeah it was sketchy when I was using Overbridge beta on Reason 9.
But with the final Overbridge release and Reason 11 everything is working like a charm

Glab it helped!
I think we need a thread dedicated to Reason’s support.

2 Likes

Has anyone figured out how to use Digitakts sequencer to drive devices in Reason? This is super easy in Ableton, you just select the input midi channel and the device and boom. Seems way more difficult to do this in Reason. I’ve started going down the Remote Codecs rabbit hole; but, haven’t gotten very far.

Off to bed now but if I have some time in the next day or two, I’ll take look. It can’t be that difficult.

Yeah, that’s what I would think as well. But without codec/remote map, locking a midi track from the Digitakt to a device in reason doesn’t seem possible.

It is possible! @Pinkbox answered your question in the second post in this thread.

It is not complicated once you get used to it, it’s just a little different than in Ableton.

Correction: it is under Preferences/Sync Bus A,B,C,D
Select Digitakt for Bus A

Then in the Rack Advanced MIDI Device select Bus A

1 Like

Nope, doesn’t work. All midi channels will still trigger the synth.

1 Like

Deselect DT from Preferences/MIDI/EasyMIDI

Thank you for your help., it’s working now. I really appreciate your help. I dont know if this is useful to you; but, if it is please accept it as my thanks.

git@github.com:roknsound/Elektron-Combinators.git

1 Like

Glad I could help. I don’t have acces to my instruments right now, but I knew it was working. Cheers

Didn’t see that you got a resolution to this. I just spent about 10 minutes setting it up. Easy to setup and map and/or assign specific channels to specific devices. I haven’t used Reason in about 4 years but keep a current Reason 12 license.

Didn’t take me long to get it setup. Glad you’re sorted out now!

Is this a mixer for Overbridge?

There’s a couple devices in that repo so far, one of them is a mixer for the Digitakt. These are basically just wrappers around midi out instruments (and/or the overbridge plugin)that leverage the new Combinators. By doing this, it reduces menu diving and makes first class citizens out of some of the features in Elektron instruments. It’s very much liking having custom midi controllers for Elektron instruments; but, done through the Reason rack. This also means that you’re now very easily able to add modulation sources to each device by wiring up the cv inputs on the back of the combinators to specific CCs.