Digitakt and Modular - What do you think of my rack?

Cool. I’ve decided to just get the nifty case which should provide midi to cv for clocking and transport control. Added a Happy Nerding 3x VCA (swapped out an endorphin Milky Way since I’ll prob use Ableton for FX anyways) :+1:

A VCA modulates the amplitude of a signal, this video has a simple explanation. I recommend to watch the whole series to have a better understanding of basic Eurorack concepts.

You could also explain us a little more about your musical goals, what gear you already have and post a link to your plan in modulargrid so we can give a better recommendation. Since you are excited about Morphagene and QPAS I’m assuming you are interested in processing stereo samples in interesting ways, but maybe my assumption is wrong.

Sure!

Here’s the updated screenshot:

What I’m looking to do is make ambient music/sound effects using the Morphagene as the sound source. Lots of textural pads, smeared samples and goofed up audio, basically. Not interested in drums, synths or anything overtly rhythmic as that’s covered by my Digitakt and standalone synths (using a Virus and Model D now, though may switch to a Neutron for modular capabilities). I’d also like to keep this as cheap as possible, which is why I originally eschewed LFOs, VCAs, Marbles etc, though it’s been explained to me that would be very limiting

1 Like

If you don’t mind losing some hands-on experience, you can use your Digitakt to send LFOs and envelopes with a MIDI-CV converter as @bigdave suggested and only have Morphagene and QPAS in the beginning to don’t spend that much money, after a few months of use you’ll figure out what else you need.

1 Like

Definitely an option worth considering. I’ll mull it over!

This is the route I’ve chosen. I know the science of what most all of the modules do (esoteric stuff via quick manual read for the module) but I’ve never gone down the modular route. I’m finally getting bored with most of my normal synths after many years.

I built a couple of full systems on modular grid but realized in doing so that I just need to start with an oscillator. Get basic inputs and outputs (audio and cv/midi). Then just start to explore my oscillator.

In a way, let the next modules pick themselves. Ideas will emerge, “It would be awesome if I could do this with that signal”, then see what module can help me accomplish the ideas that emerge. Let it grown from there, slowly… meticulously. Only picking new modules when I have a list of “must be able to help me do this” ideas on paper :memo:

I’m starting with Frap Tools Brenso and plan to pick up a 7U 104hp Intellijel pallet with audio I/O.
The Brenso is almost a full synth voice on its own.

I’m also building the Eurorack expansion modules (8x gates, 8x trigs, 8x CV, 8x clocks) for my MIDIBox Seq V4 I built a few years back.

Sorry, one last stupid question…the NiftyCase comes with built in MIDI to CV as well as “built-in line-level audio output for easy integration with mixers, portable recorders, and audio interfaces”. Does this mean if I got a regular, powered case from another manufacturer I would need to buy a mixer/output module in order to get sound in to my DAW?

There are no stupid questions! You should check the voltage range of your audio interface inputs, modular signals are pretty hot (around 10 Vpp) for line level (Around 2 Vpp), so typically you’ll need to attenuate the signal. Output modules are handy because they’ll never send more than typical line level, but any attenuator may serve the same purpose.

2 Likes

sorry, i can´t help you here.
but “i think” i read something about that one can connect theDisting EX and FH-2 together over the midi port.
you need to check the disting EX thread at the muff wiggler forum,
or ask that question in the expert-sleepers subforum over there
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=35

I’ve been wanting a Morphagene for a while(in addition to modular). Just know- whatever you end up with- there is potential that I will steal and add Clouds to it :smiley:

Yeah Clouds is definitely happening at some point, but I figured it better to not go too deep too soon. Morphagene and QPAS alone should keep my hands full for a while. I’m just worried all my other gear will get neglected :crazy_face:

1 Like

An empty rack with Clouds and something that can send modulation(Digitakt + midi interface) might be sufficient to start off(thinking for myself now) I mean- just plug in a mic or an instrument and have a decent effects modular setup.

That HAS to be the most minimal approach to start from.

1 Like

Ah, right you are. Looks like I’ll need something like Rosie to get audio in to my focusrite/DAW. Man, between that and the midi/cv module I picked I can see why the nifty case is such a deal now. Those two modules alone are are costing me $300, not to mention all the rack space they take up.

Still check the headroom of you audio interface, mixer or whatever you use, you may not need anything to handle the level.

2 Likes

Ok thanks! How come you have connected the FH-2 and the Disting? What do you use it for?

For MIDI to Cv I have Yarns, a little expensive but you get four channels, arpeggiator, euclidean rhythms and a digital oscillator.

The intention was to use DT to sequence my modular via the FH-2 and simultaneously control algorithm selection and parameters on the Disting via MIDI CC. I’ll admit though, I haven’t fully explored the possibilities as I got somewhat distracted by the capabilities of the ES-8 and Ableton Live!