Digitakt and MIDI connections

The problem is that not all of the devices have MIDI THRU.

You certainly need a MIDI THRU device. It’ll be easier.

KS OUT > DT IN
DT OUT > MIDI IN (MIDI THRU device)
MIDI OUTS from the MIDI THRU device to all MIDI INS of the rest

1 Like

thank for the fast replies guys!

so I need to set all the Keystep MIDI Channel in order to play all my synths, I guess. @nionmu

but I think that the minotaur and the op-z don’t have a MIDI thru, as @Tchu wrote

something like Kenton MIDIThru devices?

Get a Retrokits RK-006, just trust me.

You only need to set the KS MIDI Channel to the same AUTO CHANNEL as The DT.

Yes but they will also need to merge the OUT and THRU from the Digitakt to maintain mod wheel and pitch bend functionality, and the mod and pitch from the Keystep will need to be assigned to the channel of the synth in question independently of the MIDI channel that they Keystep’s keys are transmitting on (I can do this with my MIDI controller but am not sure if it’s possible with the Keystep).

what do you mean with auto channel? :pray:t2:

Alright time to read the Digitakt manual and come back to this thread afterwards.

2 Likes

how can I do this? :pray:t2:

True. DT doesn’t pass or record MW and PB from an external Keyboard.

1 Like

ok :facepunch:t2:

1 Like

@Hawk @Tchu

I read on the manual the AUTO CHANNEL section.

Why I need to use this?

I’ll play the Digitakt with its keys, not by Keystep.

I only need to “go across” Digitakt and send clock to the Keystep and synths.

Maybe my explanation wasn’t so clear, I’m sorry about that, just trying to understand the routing.

:smiley:

Trust me, you do want to control the Digitakt with the Keystep, and as you’ll be sequencing the other synths by the Digitakt I promise you it will be very useful.

For now, what I suggest is to put the op-z out of the equation.

I’d go like this :

KS MIDI OUT > DT MIDI IN
DT MIDI OUT > REV2 MIDI IN
REV2 MIDI THRU > Minitaur MIDI IN

KS on the same Channel as DT Auto Channel
Minitaur on Channel 1
Rev2 on Channels 2 and 3 (bitimbral synth)

DT MIDI CONFIG :

MIDI Tracks Config :

Why do you need the KS, though?

1 Like

ok :slight_smile: and what about the MIDI OUT and THRU merge?

Many many ways, very much depends on your setup and hardware. It also depends on whether the Keystep can set the keys/PB & MW to different channels. You’ll need to read the keystep manual to find out.

A big reason for having the DT controlled by Keystep (not tempo necessarily) is that in Step Mode you’ll be able to hold a step and press the keys you want to record to that step and it will input the velocity and note data into the Digitakt sequencer. MUCH nicer way to input note data versus twisting the knob to move the little highlights around on the piano graphic, seriously.

1 Like

oh wow. really thank you @Tchu . :bowing_man: :bowing_man: :bowing_man:

it’ll be my main note sequencer, but I need to be in sync with the DT and the other synths (I guess) :slight_smile:

ye, for sure. can I text you if I have any problem?

thank you, sir.

Nah dude you want the Digitakt to be sequencing, not the Keystep, forget about that. PM me if you’ve got more questions fasho.

2 Likes

Use the DT as your Sequencer and play your Synths with the KS

1 Like