Digitakt and Ableton controls with Overbridge?

Hi there sorry if the question has been asked already but I couldn’t find the answer anywhere.

I just got a Digitakt and managed to set up the latest Overbridge and everything works fine between Digitakt and Ableton.

Now I’m wondering once I’m locked onto Overbridge vst in a midi track (muted) with 8 audio tracks (at 0db) in Live, I realise I can’t use the basic knobs such as level (track volume control) on the box. Do I need to invert slave/master roles?

It’s not possible to use DT volume control from the Digitakt with Overbridge, you have to do it from Ableton manually for each track? Sounds like it would be kinda defeating the purpose to me.

If it’s not possible then, would you recommend a controller that could control the DT from Ableton (such as the Novation LauchControl XL)?

Thank you.

you can use all the knobs of the box using overbridge.
If you want to seq settings from ableton you have to do so on the main plugin track

Ha yes indeed, I just realised that 5 min ago actually.

The confusion came from the fact that I was tweaking the wrong button to decrease level of a particular track (Track Level instead of Sample Level).

Now I can indeed decrease the level of a particular track and it will decrease likewise in the bounced audio track of that particular DT audio channel.

Another silly question: can I not change the BPM/global BPM of Ableton (sort of as master/slave) directly from the box while using OB?

when a box is slaved its ableton that drives the BPM, however you can change the BPM per scnes in ableton by just typing the desired bpm as a name of the said scene

1 Like

Haa, good trick, thanks! Btw maybe you could tell me about these too:

1. I just learnt how to use the quick mute mode in DT, quite amazing. Do you think the controller such as the Novation Launch Control XL would add extra value in the context of production in this setup?

2. Also do I need to buy the Overhub (so far I only have the Digitakt, with my MacBook Pro, Audient soundcard, a TR8 and Arturia 49 keyboard but I’m also purchasing this week a MicroFreak, Minibrute 2S and maybe later this year a couple Moog synths like DFAM and Mother 32, and some FX pedals). Do you see the Overhub as a must for syncing purposes in such as setup, or not, and how would that all link/route together, also with the cables and stuff?

3. Would I need a Midi Host such as this one I read about https://kentonuk.com/product/midi-usb-host-mkii/ as well? I’m trying to keep Ableton to the smallest use possible while producing, just keeping it for the final touches, arrangement and adding some plugin FX.

Thanks a bunch.

Hey

1. novation controllers are good I would lean towards the launchpad pro mk3 but that preference. I tend to play direclty on the boxes and launch clips

2. I have three elektron boxes all working fine with a BESTBUY hub, it just has to be powered and it should work just fine. as Per the sync there are different ways of doing it it will depend on how you are using the set-up. A generic powered hub would defo work tho

3. I dont think you need a midi host nope :slight_smile:

1 Like

Super thanks, do you have a video/link that would explain concisely how to quickly work between the DT patches and Ableton session clips?

Also a weird thing I noticed - maybe it’s normal to you but I’ve noticed that if press play with the DT box I have to press to press stop on the DT box to stop the session, and if I press start with the bar on the Macbook I have to press again on the Macbook bar to stop. I can’t press start one place and stop another, if that makes sense?

Cheers.

Actually I can stop the session in Ableton after starting from the DT if I click twice on the Macbook bar, but I can’t stop the Ableton session with the stop button of the DT box.

you would not be able to stop transport from the box as its a slave

Using channel 16 on a midi clip would allow you to change patterns from the note of the keyboard
check this too Overbridge Pattern Clips 0.3.1 M4L Device

1 Like

Hallelujah! xD Gonna try this right away…

2 Likes