Digitakt 1 to Digitakt 2 data transfer

Hi there, digitakt 2 on it’s way…
I’m wondering if there is a way to transfert all my data for my previous machine to the new one.

that would be awesome!

Transfer makes it relatively easy.
You can grab all your Samples, put them in the same structure (or not), do the same with projects and you have basically the same data on both.

But it’s not as simple as a replication button, do to say :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Are you sure this works with projects and pattern between DT and DT2? I tried this with C6 and Transfer. None of the projects and patterns from DT were recognized by DT2 only those exported by itself. So my guess is, that the files are not compatible.

You have to change the extension from .dtproj to .dt2proj, and use the last version of Transfer that may have its part in the magic.

3 Likes

Thanks for the answer, it’s amazing that it is backward compatible!

1 Like

I have a question related to this procedure, so I rather ask here before making a new thread.
I have multiple incarnations of a single set, that I’ve made changes to through the years.
If I wanted to load all of them to DT 2, would it duplicate the shared samples every time that I add one of these iterations? or does it recognize samples that are already stored in the +Drive?

So far as I know (from using model:samples) that’s all handled at the level of Transfer, not by the hardware/firmware. Transfer is clever enough to recognise when you are loading a project with a duplicate file, and offers you the choice of duplicating it or using the sample already loaded.

1 Like

I figured it out. With Transer 1.8.6 it’s super simple. Connect your DT and open the [Explorer] tab. There select the Projects from the inconspicuous dropdown list. There they are! You can simply copy them to you hard drive via drag’n drop and vice versa. There’s no need to rename the file extensions, just copy the dtproj files from a DT to a DT2. It works!

3 Likes

Perfect!
I still have to test last version of Transfer for this, will do asap.

I’m glad the process is so simple :space_invader:

On a related note, I’m hoping to see direct comparisons with the same project loaded on the DT1 and DT2! EZBot and others seem to think the same files sound better on the new one, but I’d love some proper A/B comparisons from those who have both.

I just updated transfer, backed up my dt1 projects, then imported to dt2. It even asks you if you only want to transfer missing samples, and if you want to use original destinations for samples. Worked like a dream, my projects from dt one sound the same to my ears (dt770pro), but I didn’t disect it yet. The only con is slowness of transfering samples, it’s a snail for sure.

2 Likes

Very glad to hear this, as I’m planning to sell my Digitakt back at home (Argentina) before relocating to Berlin, to avoid flying with extra gear (as well as being able to get a bit more money for DT1 here).
I’ll just export all my project and load them on my brand new DT2 which will be waiting for me (assuming it has arrived by the time I get there, that is :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

I was just wondering if anyone has copied a project over digitakt to digitakt2 and if the samples copy over in stereo or mono?

It will be mono, the DT1 factory samples are included, any user samples will be transferred as is and used as is - so mono > mono

1 Like

No chance of importing DT2 projects to DT1 if I change the ending of the project file name and use the latest version of transfer?

i don’t imagine that will ever be implemented - make a FR if you are an optimistic type

I can’t see how that could even work — as your DT2 projects would likely use features that are simply not in the DT1.

Unless I am mistaken on this, by definition, they would not be backward compatible.

Yeah I thought so too but I just wanted to make sure, maybe they found a way. Would come in handy to collaborate between users of DT I and II.

When I import DT1 projects that used the MIDI channels, page 2 MIDI knobs are all turned on and set to 0, messing with all of the settings on my Micromonsta2. I had to go through and turn off 16 knobs per pattern over a few dozen patterns. Seems odd that they’d load all set to on.