Digitakt 1.20 Class Compliant Audio on Win 7

Has anyone managed to get this to work? From what i can tell it must be a windows 7 driver issue (Driver signing disabled on start up doesnt seem to do the trick here…).
…On Win 10 it works immediately…

Hi. Check out the Digitakt new firmware bug reports thread - there’s a poster there talking about exactly this issue…

hello! Yes thank you i saw that, i thought maybe we can have it as a separete thread so that this topic doesnt disappear under a plethora of comments :slight_smile:

Microsoft didn’t add support for class compliant audio until an update to windows 10 circa (2017). you’ll have to find a third party USB audio app. I don’t use windows so I don’t have much help otherwise. but yeah win 7 doesn’t support it from the factory.

I see… so i guess i have to do a search on third party USB audio apps. thank you!

1 Like

From
The bug thread.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for taking the effort to respond here! :slight_smile: …So, it was bound to happen… I have to upgrade my os!

Was bound to happen eventually eh? :slight_smile:

1 Like

hahahah :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

There are a couple of companies that got this working.
They speak of USB Audio Class 2.0 so their drivers might work on other devices.

from this site:

But all is not lost Windows lovers; if you are using Windows you can still play those super high quality hi-res files! Just install a Class 2 USB driver. For all current Cambridge Audio USB DACs, you can install the free driver from our website with full set up instructions here. By installing the Class 2 driver you will not delete Class 1 so you are able to switch back to Class 1 at any time if you want to.

also this:

and here is a commercial driver that has a demo available:
https://www.usb-audio.com/

I can’t test this because I haven’t updated my Digi’s yet, but it might be worth a try.

1 Like

Oh!! Ok!! I will try out these methods! I will post the results, very interesting thank you!!

XMOS chips are being used (among other things) as a specific asynchronous audio USB to Coaxial/Toslink/I2S i/o for DACs. They provide a specific driver followed by specific firmware, maybe they support also the class compliant (2.0) driver with restricted functionality. Digitakt has a totally different USB audio i/o implementation.

That quote is not from the xmos site, but from the cambridge audio site.

Any decent audio interface is asynchronous, just like the Digi’s.

I think you can order a universal driver from usb-audio.com.

I do not think this is possible. This is something completely different.

I wouldn’t call it completely different.
The reason I mentioned usb-audio/ploytec is because they are the audio driver provider for a lot of well-known brands(i.e. almost every older Allen & Heath audio interface have ploytec drivers).

They also provided the drivers for the Acces Virus TI(and the usb audio hardware).
Their drivers are easily identified because they have words like ‘fast’ and ‘rapid’ in the buffer size selection box. Sounds familiar right :wink:

So I’m pretty sure at least the Overbridge audio driver is based on/licenced from the ploytec drivers.
That’s why I think the universal usb-audio/ploytec driver might be a good guess.

(From what I’m reading in the bug threads there are still some problems with class-compliant audio and iOS, so this might also have an effect on other operating systems.)

1 Like

I have seen those drivers long time ago providing asio capabilities for old usb sound cards. I do not know if they are active by supporting the new era devices.

I think I’m driving my point in the wrong direction…

What I want to make clear is that all Class Compliant hardware that is in the same class and has the same functionality, will also use the same driver. They will identify the same to the operating system except for the device name.

So all you have to do to make this work is find a working driver for a device with the same functionality.

In this case, that would be a class 2.0 audio/midi device with 2 inputs and 2 outputs that can run at 48kHz.

Also, keep in mind that a lot of older USB 2.0 audio interfaces are actually USB Audio Class 1.0.
USB 2.0 does not automatically mean USB Audio Class 2.0.

1 Like