Digitakt 1.04 not working with Transfer application

I’ve been trying for one hour to transfer samples into my Digitakt (os 1.04) but i keep getting “couldn’t connect” error in the transfer application. With 1.03 it worked just fine. I already diconnected all other USB devices, restarted my computer etc. Nothing seems to work?

Any help is welcome…thank you

Early on in the OS update cycle I found that if I had my DAW running I could not connect to the DT with Transfer… closing the DAW solved the problem (I’m on a pc, win7/64 with Ableton Live).

Otherwise, I’ve had no problems with Transfer…

2 Likes

Thanks Guys,

I’m on a Mac. Unplugged everything (all USB devices). Rebooted my computer. Put the Digitakt directly on a USB port. Tried different USB Cables and so on… Kind of weird…

@phaelam are u on a Mac or a PC?

Cheers Mike

Okay well i now tried on my other computer ( macbook pro retina os 10.10.5). Same thing happens.

And just to be stupidly sure…

Did you pick the Digitakt in both input and output?

1 Like

What do you mean by that? @ahlstrominfo . sorry i don’t know

Now i understand, yes i did …

I had the same issue the other day. I resolved it by setting the Digitakt midi channel to 14 and then adding the Digitakt as a new midi device on my Mac using the ‘Audio MIDI Setup’ application, only enabling channel 14. I then relaunched the Transfer app it finally connected.

If you’re opening Audio MIDI Setup for the first time you’ll properly need to select ‘Window’ > ‘Show MIDI Studio’. That will allow you to hit the + button to add the Digitakt as new midi device. Check out the settings below.

5 Likes

FINALLY it works!!!

@Gela Thank you. !
Your info got me looking further into the midi channel configuration. The only thing i did was setting the “prog Ch in” and Program Ch out" to midi channel 1

Midi config > Channels > prog Ch in to Midi channel 1
Midi config > Channels > prog Ch out to Midi channel 1

5 Likes

Nice!

Your method is much simpler. I’ll try that myself if I run into the problem again.

Cheers!

1 Like

Just setting to channel 14 fixed this for me.

2 Likes

I got the transfer app to work, I can see the files loading but I can’t find them on the Digitakt. I’ve only had it for a few days so maybe just missing something obvious.

Under the setting menu (cog wheel/gear icon) there is a samples option. The sample you transfered can be found there.

2 Likes

I’m having pretty severe issues with the Transfer.

I managed to use it to update my OS and transfer a couple of samples. However the Transfer started claiming that another Midi device is using the Digitakt. I had a MIDI out cable hooked to it so I removed it. Didn’t help. Restarted Digitakt and Transfer. Managed to get sample transfer running. It froze. I forced the shutdown and restarted Digitakt. I kept doing this for a while and eventualy Digitakt itself froze.

Now I’ve been doing this reset thing for a while and either the Transfer says that there is another MIDI device using Digitakt or than it freezes while attempting transfer. Nothing I’ve tried seems to work. And at some point my Digitakt reseted itself back to the MIDI defaults by itself (or are these project specific?) and even it didn’t work. What on earth should I do now?

EDIT: Tried installing the Transfer on my laptop and there it just got permanently stuck on the Connecting part. Might tell more about my laptop than Transfer. I also tried plugging off my mixer just in case it was causing something weird and it didn’t help either, the Transfer won’t transfer the files. Considering trying a reset of the digitakt.

EDIT 2: I’ve narrowed down the issue a bit. Putting either the Auto Channel and/or the program change channels into anything else than 14 seems to cause the Transfer to not recognize Digitakt. Nothing I’ve done has however allowed me to transfer files. Has anyone else had issues with the Transfer just freezing and files being stuck at Sending?

EDIT 3: Managed to get the file transfer working after factory reset, but the Transfer freezes if I try to move too many samples at once. So either it’s a fault at my end or then the Transfer tries to cram too much data into the transfer at once and it causes a freeze. And after every time it crashes it doesn’t recognize Digitakt straight away but I have to reboot it. Interesting.

For future reference, I also experienced this problem.

Changing SETTINGS -> MIDI CONFIG -> CHANNELS -> AUTO CHANNEL to OFF solved this problem for me.

1 Like

work great here…with auto channel on…no problem…

maybe i’m lucky , on osx 10.11.6 , any versions of digitakt via usb… no problems at all.
i dumped a lot of samples to it the other day , took a while , no problems though. (at least 550 samples, 40meg based on mac info )

occasionally it hasnt connected because i turn off digitakt then back on , or had usb lead unplugged.
so i dont think its a disaster which may be the impression by looking on the forum , but i do appreciate some people have issues.

my wacom graphics tablet doesnt work any more…
an old usb midi c;ass compliant 2in 2out doesnt seem to work .

Just got my Digitakt on the 17th, it was on 1.04 and I could not get the transfer application to work at all, regardless of what I tried (factory reset, different cables/ports, loads of different midi configurations, and even a different PC).

I ended up sending the 1.07 Sysex file over to the Digitakt through C6, and I actually had to do so using the DIN ports (C6 would throw an error if I tried to open the digitakt in/out ports using USB). Very thankful I had a USB/MIDI interface on hand that allowed me to do so, otherwise I’m pretty sure I would have returned the Takt out of frustration. Not the greatest first impression xD.

On 1.07 though, Transfer works flawlessly (tested with 200MB+ of vintage drum machine samples). Really loving it so far, although it’d be great if Elektron didn’t release firmware that breaks essential functionality like this.

2 Likes

Im a bit late to the party and have just bought a Digitakt. Came with 1.04 OS and I couldn’t get Transfer or C6 to work … very frustrated.
I found your recommendations and works!!!

thank you so much !

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

You need to config C6.
Check C6 manual for setup.