Digitakt 1.04 : Bug reports

Not sure if this is a bug or expected behavior but does MIDI program change only get triggered when turning the knob, or should it get triggered when a note is played as well?

So i have track 9 sending MIDI data to my Minitaur. If i change the program knob, as expected the program changes on the synth. Lets say I leave it on PROG 2. As an expirement I setup Track 10 to talk to the same synth but with a different program selected, PROG 3. I was expecting that when I play a note on track 9 for it to change to PROG 2, and when i play a note from track 10 for it to trigger the program change and PROG 3. But it doesnt work that way. The only time i can change the program is when i turn the PROG knob.

Is that how its supposed to function? Seems a bit odd to have a PROG set but for it not to take affect until you manually turn the knobā€¦

UPDATE. the program triggers on play, im guessing on pattern change too. I guess that makes sense cause the prog change wouldnt be sent with every note. Still, how does the Digitakt then handle the above? Two tracks with same MIDI channel and different PROG?

I had the freeze thing until I updated to the OS to the newest. There was some talk about some MIDI CC loop, if you use it like with a lot of stuff (mixed USB, MIDI in/out) there still might be a loop somewhere

Save to project command.
I load some new samples into a project, use them in a pattern and save the pattern to the project, using either save kit data or save whole pattern. Now I load a different project, saying no when it asks me to save, because I have already saved the pattern to the project right? Reload the project and the samples I loaded and used are no longer in the ram.

I believe the sample slot list is global to the project, and only gets saved if the project itself is saved.

1 Like

Always save the project.

2 Likes

This isnā€™t something the digitakt needs to figure out, it needs to be a feature of the synth you are trying to control. The synth needs to be polyphonic and multitimbral. I have a DSI Tetra which is four voice multitimbral, with a ā€œcombo modeā€ that allows each voice to be controlled independently on four separate midi channels. It is awesome.

For your minitaur, which I believe is monophonic, you would have to p-lock the program changes on desired trigs of the same track. It should work on separate tracks configured for the same midi channel, but would still require plocks, otherwise you are sending two PCH messages at the start of the pattern. In that case your synth will pick one of them based on timing.

If thats the case what is the point in the save kit option on the menu? If the sample in the kit doesnā€™t get saved when you save the kit?

1 Like

Yeah, confusing. I havent used that. Just save project when adding samples, which saves the global sample slots.

If two Digitaktā€™s are midi-synced they run out of sync after a while. I did some sessions with a friend and 2 Digiā€™s and we would edit around, loading samples into the project and a lot more while jamming. So to me it seems that some functions can cause the Digiā€™s to slow down a tiny bit.

Iā€™m sending my unit back. It looks very promising, but itā€™s not ready yet for a live situation.
Hope they figure these bugs / functionality out very soon, maybe I can try again in a near future.

Strange, been using 2 digitakts for hours on end without any issues. Only had 1 freeze last week while sequencing my mono synth, sending program changes per step. Also used a digitakt live during a gig with my monosynth 2 weeks ago without issues.

I guess itā€™s a matter of how you want to use the unit live and that it doesnā€™t fulfill those requirements (yet)?

1 Like

Thanks, iā€™ll give it a try.

This is not a bug in the Digitakt. Its how the sequencer works. The target pattern must be active for you to be able to paste to it. You can paste while the sequencer is running, but only to the currently active pattern. Ill try to make this a bit clearer in the manual. Thanks fo pointing it out.

2 Likes

Thank you. So thereā€™s no intention to work on the lack of a duplicate pattern feat?
Iā€™m mean, if Iā€™m playing it live and I create a pattern and want to duplicate it/copy to another pattern to continue the composition, I wonā€™t be able to do so?

1 Like

Yes. It is difficult to paste to the new pattern seamlessly when the sequencer is running since the timing must be just right.
We prefer not to make any promises regarding possible future fuctionality, but we are aware of this issue.

1 Like

Crash report : saved to a new project while playing. Screen froze on ā€œSave OKā€

are you on latest , i havent had that in 1.04

is this new?

recorded parameter locks on the internal sequencer are not heard if triggering the midi note from external box.

eg.
iā€™ve recorded a filter sweep
iā€™m triggering notes from circuit.

the filter sweep cannot be heard.
if i add the notes from digitakt , i can hear filter sweep.

Yes latest 1.04. This is the first time (I think) that I used quick save (FUNC Save Proj) to save, while playing, when I wasnā€™t in a previously saved project. I chose an empty slot, left the name as ā€œuntitledā€ and got the crash. Might be a one off.

ā€œElektron is now hiring programmersā€

Looks to me like fallout from the digitakt debacle. Someone got fired, or perhaps they quit.

1 Like