Digitakt 1.04 : Bug reports

Any word on the next update? here’s hoping it will be a big one, seeing as how much time has passed. 1.10 too much to hope for?

1 Like

As first posted here by @Oblique , the Bank Change doesn’t work over Midi.
Can anyone confirm?

@BossDoggington Why would it matter which number they attach to it? 1.05 would make sense, as it’s the next release. They said you’d need 1.10 for Overbridge, but if you’re hoping that a 1.10 automatically means an OB release that’s setting yourself up for dissapointment.

Update numbers are not arbitrary. A .01 update are minor bug fixes. A .10 update means major fixes, overhauls and features added. im hoping for a .10 that has all these endless shitty beta bugs fixed and some new basic fearures that are sorely missing.

1 Like

I take it you’re talking about using external midi to change banks on the Digitakt itself, but I’m referring to the opposite!
@Oblique and I were attempting to use the Digitakt to change the Bank on external hardware (namely the Peak and Mininova).
Given that banks on external synths can contain up to 128 (0-127) patches, the same trick can’t be used, and you’re essentially limited to those first 128.

This is especially bothersome as my custom patches are all on Bank C :sob:

2 Likes

See that topic created by @Oblique for my expectation that this is a badly-implemented feature (which has a workaround) rather than a bug.

For posterity, my response here as well: Tried your solution, sadly doesn’t work so this might be a bug rather than an intended result.
So far it’s only been tested with Novation gear though, so having someone with other hardware come in and try would be really useful!

1 Like

I noticed a weird thing happening when using midi sequencing.

Even with every MIDI channel muted and every MIDI CC disabled there will be a MIDI signal sent to my synth, some kind of unipolar LFO or cycling enveloppe.
I noticed it first because it was messing the filter envelope on one of my synth (cc43). No matter what pattern I changed to it was still doing that. I’ve seen it later doing the same unwanted modulation on the velocity of a different synth (cc 41). Value starts from 0, goes up to X than go back to zero and so on, on a periodic manner. I feel like it does that on some projects only because it is for sure not all the time happening. And I’m sure it comes from the DT because every time it happened I tried to sequence the synth with other gear and there was no issue.

Why is that?

2 Likes

@hwlf

I’ve noticed the same thing, and it wasn’t untill I watched a video of someone using Midi channels that I figured out muting was meant to mute LFO’s. Which is good, because Midi LFO’s were kind of pointless when they couldn’t be muted.
For reference, I was using it with my KaossPad3

1 Like

Ok it appears that MIDI LFO were indeed active even with Midi track muted. Which sucks. How to avoid that?

DT is my master clock and has no MIDI in plugged in by the way.

1 Like

This happens with mine too. My DT came with 1.03, updated to 1.04. Not a single crash in the first few days… that was until I started using the midi tracks.

Doesn’t matter what track, channel, what device is receiving the midi, Digitakt locks up very frequently once doing anything with midi tracks.

1 Like

So after experiencing I came to that conclusion :

Looks like for some reason once you’ve started using MIDI on any pattern, when you switch to another pattern, even if all MIDI tracks muted, any MIDI LFO from the newly loaded pattern will be active. Not the sequences, just the LFO.

If you select track(s) with LFO and disable it (setting destination “off” on the LFO page), without changing anything to the track mute status, the automation will stop.

So this fixes the unwanted modulation issue. But it means your LFO is disabled hence unusable unless you go back there and change the destination again. Or reload pattern.

Would be nice to know if a) Elektron knows about this b) Elektron is trying to fix this

2 Likes

If you haven’t done so already, file a support ticket with Elektron via their website and they will surely let you know.

6 Likes

Are you receiving MIDI clock or transport from your DAW?

Happens for me whether sequencing direct with a midi cable, through a MIDI hub, thru chaining, or USB. I don’t think anything on the receiving end is causing the freezes so filtering wouldn’t help in my case, and it happens whether or not I have a midi keyboard going into it (DT is master and I haven’t dared deal with incoming midi stuff beyond keys).

Seeing that others are experiencing the same is somewhat comforting, as I feel it’s known and will be addressed, but perhaps I should submit a ticket. I’m glad it’s smooth sailing for you though! I really look forward to using the DT in a stable state.

Are you modulating multiple CC parameters on your midi devices?

Just curious, and apologies if you’ve already answered this, but are you using MIDI over USB, regular MIDI or both into your Digitakt?

Midi chrash bug seems to if happen I hit stop while in chromatic mode on a midi track. Pretty easy to avoid if you know what to look for but still needs to be fixed.

The utime buttons still pops you into global bpm after using them making them pretty pointless if you use pattern bpm or worse if you bump one you could pop into a vastly different bpm than you want.

Getting a few crashes when saving.

Direct monitoring seems to be a bit hit and miss

When I have loop set up to max, it emits a high pitched buzz.

Inf on retrigger seems to do nowt.

Using my a4 as master clock and switching patterns all goes well for a bit and after stopping and starting a few times (in the process of song arrangement ), but eventually i when i hit play i am one beat off. Digitakt’s step 2.1 is on a4’s 1.4. Anybody else with this issue. Not using any midi tracks. Just clock. Switch off both units and i am good for a bit again.

Try double tapping Stop on the DT before pressing play on the A4