Digimono/ Monomodel?

I have been obsessed with monomachine videos lately and tried to find a modern elektron product that feels similar to it but it somehow feels like the design philosophy of this product seems to be a thing of the past.

Even with the newly released Syntakt, which looks in some way like a spiritual successor of the monomachine, you still cannot get all the features that made the mono what it is.

I am thinking of its fx tracks, parameter slides, mini-sequencer aperggiator etc more than the actual sounds of the machines.

Do you think Elektron plan to do more gear in the spirit of the monomachine design?
Would you be interested in a Digimono or a monomodel that would have the very unique things that are in the monomachine without necessarily have the same machines?

I am aware that the ppl that made the mono are long gone and its very unlikely that elektron would rerelease the actual monomachine, but something close in design philosophy would be a killer product I think…

The mono arp has no equivalent anywhere in Elektron products and you can only have the pslides on the A4 if I read it correctly…

How crazy would a product with the new conditional locks/chance/etc features from modern elektron products WITH the monomachine features?

A man can dream…

3 Likes

nice idea.
would buy in a heartbeat :partying_face:

2 Likes

This has been discussed a lot already in other threads but yes. I can’t understand how they haven’t done a reimagined MnM yet.
I sent them a product request idea a couple of years ago with something similar and they sounded surprised by the idea and said they’d pass it on to the dev team. Were probably just humouring me but likewise, a man can dream.

3 Likes

Yeah there’s been a lot of talk about this already, going back years. This is a good one with some discussion on approaching some of the Monomachine tricks with other machines:

IMO the Octatrack and Analog 4 have a lot of the ‘unique’ Monomachine features that people obsess over.

8 Likes

If the synthesis boxes just had more octatrack features (effects, neighbors, routing et cetera) and more crisp/crunchy fidelity options for weird aliasing, I don’t think as many people would be requesting monomachine reissues. As mentioned above, an octatrack with an A4, Digitone, Syntakt, or most of the others seems to get closer to the mono abilities. A lot of people myself included just want that in a single box.

1 Like

Elektron also just need to add a lot more machines to Syntakt to get it closer to this, and a future release should emulate the “kitchen sink” many machines/synthesis types approach of the md/mnm

yea if they add a bunch more percussion machines, noise machines, poly machine, even a sample machine (as is oft requested), & develop the modifiers - syntakt will be a stone cold classic.

3 Likes

But they won’t because they want you to buy 3 different boxes… It feels like its their marketing plan now.

There has not been a single product with as many functions as the monomachine so far. It is still the most complete product they ever released.

And it seems like the trend is making specialized products devoid of specific functions you can find in other products so you end up spendinx x3 more money lol.

1 Like

I’d buy em all regardless. I always do :grin:

1 Like

There’s a bit of nuance there.

It is MUCH easier to sell separate Digi series lines than it is to develop a new flagship and (necessarily) sell at a higher price than the old Octas and Analogue series.

It’d be nice if we could see any new flagship ideas they’ve been working on in the meantime, but obvious why we’ve only seen a few trademark requests for ideas so far.

Yes there’s some overlap between models but there’s usually enough uniqueness to each that I don’t feel like I’m being somehow forced into redundancy.

Either it’s worth it or it’s not for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t necessarily see why it should cost more than the Analog series, imo my best case scenario is Elektron pricing a new digital flagship about the same as the OTmk2, though obviously it would be nicer if it was only slightly more expensive than a syntakt :joy:

I think the limitations of the analog series re: routing and FX were appropriate given their focus on analog sound sources, but the fact that those limitations extended into their digital products afterwards is pretty nuts to me and leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I’d hope whatever flagship they release next pulls much more from the OT, MD, and MnM legacy than the digi trinity. When pocket do it all devices like the M8 exist for about half the price of a digi box, I don’t think Elektron has much of an excuse anymore.

1 Like

I think we may be talking two separate things, I believe you are referring to whatever parts BOM and not taking into account software and hardware development (and any nonviable research and play over that span of time) that needs to be recouped immediately and through later, derivative products.

Parts of completed assembled tooled and release quality firmware would probably be equivalent, but so much goes into any released product that you can’t bring something on for the same cost as a mature product that’s been on the market for 7+ years.

Market conditions are certainly worse than they have been since the last flagship was released what, more than 10 years ago?

Again, I probably want it as bad as you :smiley:

But I don’t need a new flagship either, none of that is why I’m not knocking out the albums I want to write. Technically the needing would leave me worse off than I am now.

just get a Monomachine

2 Likes

Maybe they will release a new superpower mono machine.
It took roland a quarter of a century to replicate the 909 , 808 and 303
Admittedly it was very poorly done.
I hope Elektron design new ground-breaking machines like the Mm & Md without repeating them just because a bunch of youngsters discovered the late Sophie used one so look to cash in on em.

Don’t forget to go to the bank first for a loan.

As a reference :

1 Like

If mm is the thing you really want, just buy it and make music with it. If you use it a hour a day for the next 10 years, 5k seems okish

I disagree. I do not wanna buy something second hand 2x or 3x the retail price especially with a outdated firmware.

I feel like the monomachine all-in-one design is never going to come back tho.
But hopefully we will get digi size monomachine inspired product? Would be cool …

I understand that but if you are obsessed with it, you could be happier owning one instead of buying 5 other machines for that money and still watching the videos.
I also think it’s expensive, too expensive for me because its not my dream machine. I recommend to watch some octatrack videos. I think with a nice monomachine sample pack you could do a lot with it.

They’re not all that expensive