DigiChain - web app for making sample chains

I’m going to be writing up some ‘how to do’ short guides/videos. But hopefully it’s pretty straight-forward to get going with until I get that done.

3 Likes

I just wanted to say thanks for this amazing effort at such a useful and powerful tool.

I was wondering if you had thought about somehow making it a stand alone app to run on iPadOS. I’d love to have this available offline on my iPad when I’m pruning and curating my samples.

Thanks again. I’ll definitely be using this on the desktop.

Keep up the amazing work.

I cross posted the details to your app on the AB forums so expect a few more eyeballs on this :wink::

2 Likes

Thanks so much!

And this is already in 1.3.0 - you just need to add it to the home screen from Safari, then it will look like a regular iPad app, and has full offline support (no internet connection required), and there is full support for split-window to have the files app next to DigiChain for drag and drop of samples.

IMG_0219

It’s likely never going to be listed in the app stores, (maybe the Play store if ever needed as that’s not a recurring annual fee to keep it in the store like Apple) - and when web apps can be first-class citizens on pretty much every modern operating system these days. its kind of not necessary.

17 Likes

Excellent. :facepunch:t3:

1 Like

Brilliant stuff!

1 Like

Wrote up a summary of the features DigiChain v1.3.0 – brianbar.net - and this is likely where more detailed guides will go once I get around to them!

3 Likes

I’m blown away by this. Again thank you so much. I have quick question though, how do I save it to my Home Screen so I can use it without wifi.

Edit- I figured it out! Wow…

1 Like

For iOS, see the post with screenshots a couple of messages above. (Has to be done from Safari).

For Android, open the site in Chorme, then tap the three dots menu and choose the Install option.

For Windows, it’s similar to Chrome, but it has to be done from the Edge browser.

And for macOS, it has to be done from Safari.

That’s the one quirk of web apps as desktop apps, they can only be installed by the OSs native (stock) browser.

2 Likes

Hmmm … not finding that one … hints anyone ?

If you have an M:S registered with Elektron, it shows up in your list of purchased sound packs in your account.

2 Likes

1.3.1 pushed out which is just bugfixes.

• Fixes bug where reversing a duplicated sample resulted in the original also getting reversed.
  • Re-wrote the transient detection to be simpler/less processor intensive, it is now more suited to loops and less useful on one-shots.
  • Trim right is more aggressive with the trimming, trims to 0.003 amplitude instead of only looking for absolute zero.
  • A few UI glitches resolved.

Edit: For those who added it to the home screens/desktop app - you may need to pull down on the page to grab a refresh. the version number in the bottom right will change to v1.3.1 from v1.3.0.

1 Like

I’d like to see this topic stickied if any kind moderator agrees that what Brian is doing is very useful with OS 1.50 and future DT revisions going forward. I know it’s not normally done with SW posts but with so much already implemented here, this might end up being bought by elektron and turned into an install app. just saying.

4 Likes

The pace is going to slow down a little now as a lot of what I plan to do is clean up under the hood; there are less than 15 things left on the to-do list, and I’m pretty happy with what can be done with it at its current version.

I’m catching bugs as I’ve been using it this evening to build out some chains for myself - who knows, I may get to use those and make some music this weekend lol!

9 Likes

That is incredible… I know it’s been said before, but Elektron could do with hiring someone like yourself to reinvigorate the Transfer app. Transfer is great, but there is some impressive forward/backward/sideways thinking going on here and we really appreciate your hard work.

8 Likes

I have been mulling over if it’s worth it to add transfer direct to the Digitakt over USB, but seeing all the difficulties ElkHerd has had, and how frequently Elektron change a black box API that requires reverse engineering everytime a firmware update comes out, I’m a little hesitant to put in the effort. If Elektron ever decide to gives us some documentation, then I may revisit the idea. But for now, Transfer (or Loopcloud) are the only options with 1.5 firmware support.

9 Likes

1.4 is going to take a while longer, as I’ve got quite a bit on a work over the next few weeks - but I’ve started rewriting the editor to make it more useful, with waveform zoom and changes so that the operation affects the selected portion of the audio.

I have also been looking into sample transfer using plain sysex audio transfer, which while less fancy than being able to browse folders on the Digitakt, would at least allow transfer via the sysex receive menu on Digitakt (and probably any other sampler that supports receiving audio via sysex) - this may or may not be kept in depending on how stable it is, and if it looks like it would just be easier/less hassle to use Transfer, but if it works correctly on iPadOS, then it still might be useful - more experimenting to do on this one though!

7 Likes

do you want a copy of c6 to see if you can decompile it and learn anything?

1 Like

I already have a copy - but sysex is a MIDI standard, so there’s documentation available; it looks like I just need to build the binary message to the spec and encode the audio data as an unsigned 8bit integer array, building the message seems pretty straightforward, it’s just if the Digitakt understands what I send over :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Do what sounds fun for you, for you to use for yourself. If it doesn’t sound fun, don’t do it. Everyone will be happy to gather your crumbs after you shove the whole pie in your mouth and stain your teeth with the filling.

4 Likes

Hope the digitakt sysex format is not proprietary :confused:

1 Like