Digiakt + MC707 = decent pairing?

I would use the 707 for traditional tasks (drums, ROMpler sounds, some synths) and use Digitakt for more heavily modulated or esoteric sounds. Or sample the 707 to the Takt and mangle it up

I’ve paired my 707 with the OT and Digitone to good effect.

1 Like

This is why Zenology exists. I refuse to pay Roland a subscription fee, or that much for a VST so i’d rather just edit on the MC707. It is a bit tedious at times, but worth it, IMO.

1 Like

I have a 707 (and 101), and it has been a great part of my setup that includes a Digitakt and Digitone. I find the UI for the 707 to be very intuitive and well designed, but obviously that is subjective. I don’t do a lot of sound tweaking on the 707, but it is workable.

I don’t really have a set way of using it. I move things around and use differently depending on what I am working on, but the 707 is an integral part of it for me. It is a very capable device.

3 Likes

i figure the biggest limitation of the 707 is limited sample time, no “song” mode, and the random/probability is pretty limited, compared to say the Elektron devices.

So i pair mine with a TR8s, TD3 and an iPad, to get around the limitations that bother me, now i have MY “perfect” setup.

@mitya33 kind of depends upon what you want/need for the kind of music you make, but have you hooked your DT up to an iPad yet? That might be everything you need?

Maybe I have a different idea of song mode but arranging clips into different scenes and have the scenes play after another does it for me.

3 Likes

I found that mc707 pairs better with octatrack.
Midiarrange (songmode with transpose function, midi retrigs, midi arp), and 2 stereo streams from octatrack (mangled with it’s scenes) into the 707, and you have it - multitrack recording setup that you can play without computer, and when you need you record that into your daw to finish - and have all streams separated. Bummer is it only works where 707 can multitrack over usb. So, no linux unfortunately.

1 Like

AFAIK this works on the MC-707 as well … in principle … push down a step button and edit the step parameters, which are shown in the display or one of the three knobs of the track. The difference I see is that on the Elektrons we have more parameters to tweak.

4 Likes

Yeah and it’s those missing features that jar when you consider it’s £400 over here (and there’s currently no second-hand ones around). Micromonsta 2 - I’d love one; been on the waiting list since forever. People sell them for silly money on the after market - for like ~£150 more than new!

The 707 absolutely has its own weakness and strengths compared to other devices. Trig conditional locks for instance on the DT or DN are so much more robust compared to only having probability on 707. That said, I learned with the huge number of available clips on the 707, I can make variations in other and equally complex ways.

I considered letting the 707 go for a Syntakt. I am sure I would like the Syntakt, but I realized I had enough of the Elektron features I needed in the DT and DN, and that I would miss the different offerings the 707 provides. Now I just need to find an excuse to get a Syntakt anyway. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I know that, this is more like motion step record and afaik you can do it only for parameters mapped to these 3 knobs per track. And ofcourse remember to add step with the values that are “default” on the track, which is very cumbersome comparing to Elektron flow - otherwice the last value set will be used until the next motion parameter appear.

1 Like

Exactly this.

You’d also be giving up all those effects, which the Syntakt (and Elektron boxes in general) lack, though perhaps you get your effects elsewhere.

I don’t do all that much with the 707 effects. Once in a while I will mess with them a little, but usually it is just reverb. I have never tried routing an external device through them. I already had a good selection of pedals (Volante, NightSky, Walrus M1 and D1 and others) and I have a loop that I run stuff through via the Bluebox. I probably should experiment more with what the 707 has to offer on that front.

1 Like

What do you need other than filter cutoff and res? Those are the instruments i play. LOL