DFAM mind melting thread

You can change the pitch and velocity per sequencer step, but then you can also patch the pitch and velocity outs from the sequencer to whatever you want (FM amount, noise level, VCA decay, whatever). So each step can sound pretty different, so you can have kicks and snares on the same track, or just make some insane noises :slight_smile:

2 Likes

^^ pretty much this. Patch cable accidents are the best with this beast

1 Like

Been making a lot of loops recently for a modular soundpack and I must say I’ve had quite a lot of fun running the DFAM into a vast array of FX. Phasers, some of the most esoteric stuff from the H9, the lil’ Pedal audio FX in Live 10 (which sounds great )… it’s endless inspiration. Also sending irregular clocks to break the 8 steps can lead to cool results.

6 Likes

It’s actually pretty difficult to get each of the 8 steps to sound the same! The velocity and pitch controls of each note is very fine grained and plays into more than just pitch and volume, like the envelope!

1 Like

So just straight garbage, here you go:

:upside_down_face:

8 Likes

Really hot stuff in here, y’all.
I thought maybe I should share:

The first two tracks are all DFAM and effects pedals (Mainly my Ghost Fax and Cathedral reverb)
I’m honestly not sure what the source sound is for “Clockworks” but I think it’s the RYTM? The Beatdown is RYTM with occasional/extreme reverb tails from DFAM sounds.

12 Likes

Whoa those deep drones. Sick!

1 Like

I’m not 100% sure but I think that’s why i was put on this earth.

3 Likes

Soooo yep I went down some strange adventure.

99BPM. DFAM outs to Delay/Reverb into stereo THRU machine.

Both triggers into mono THRU machines.

Some Comb filter eventually to mimic the Lyra y’all keep teasing me with.

Max Marco kick and snare.

Using CUE outs to trigger DFAMs. Slow, then off beat, then 4 and a mute on repeat.

The water and boing filter sounds are from the trigger outs.

Never thought DFAM/OT could produce such epic music without sampling (other than the kick and snare)…

12 Likes

oh that’s tasty. shame it stopped, it sounded like somethin epic was about to drop.

1 Like

I have to figure out how to keep it going :rofl:

It is a most unusual pair

I’m picturing some kind of super-saw lead line coming in next

1 Like

Ah my Minilogue XD is not with me at the moment :sob:. I have some samples on my blackbox. I’ll feed the OTs output into that. Sick thanks for the path.

EDIT: Not sure I have enough space left for another source of sound. I think I’ll keep the setup as is and see if I can do something interesting by twisting knobs haha

Long shot with this, but does anyone remember the DFAM extension? I cannot recall who made it but they only sell it as a kit now days. Not the Sonoclast, although that’s probably something that would help with some of y’all if you can find one.

1 Like

Looks like “The Family Tool”. Damnit I didn’t know this existed. Guess I am going to research this now…

4 Likes

Thank you very much sir! That’s exactly what I was talking about! Very appreciated!

1 Like

https://uncprop.com/

1 Like

Got reminded of this thread in another thread and decided to post one of my older videos with 2x DFAM and Lyra-8. Love this combo!

8 Likes

I am debating getting custom knobs…

Love the thick noise walls! Tribal like transitions

I gotta say that even though the knob upgrade is really good and makes it easier to dial in for example exact pitches, I haven’t felt the need to add them to my other DFAM.

1 Like