Desktop (stereo) filter

They have very different advantages, first notable difference is that the Akai is a dual filter that you can feed the mono into the stereo, or have them running parallel - and filter the signal twice with any combination of HP BP LP etc you wish, this makes it a much more versatile bit of kit with a far greater range and sonic pallet…the Akai is a little noisy with a very strong flavour or character, you wouldn’t strap it over a stereo bus and impart that character on an entire mix but you could do that with the cleaner, more transparent electrix (with low resonance).

The Akai sound is very nice with high resonance and self oscillation, its almost “303” or “Korg Volca Bass” like when resonance is even a little cranked, it keeps the low end and the tones generated glide between each other. And it has a wide sweet spot. The electrix gets a little nasally with high resonance and can definitely make your ears bleed, it has less sweet spots that are not necessarily near each other on the spectrum, its sounds more like a cem or DSI filter but not quite…

The best thing about the Electrix over the Akai is its ability to track pitch from midi note input, so you can have the pitch of the signal you are sending through it “harmonised” with the pitch of the filter…that is neat…

The best thing about the Akai over the Electrix is the triggerable envelope…its very snappy and MIDI controllable…its surgical and can slice and dice your signal like a ninja. The Electrix is less responsive with MIDI in this regard but still very usable…BUT…it has CV in for the filter!! Soooo if you have say an A4mkii that you can control the filter with it, so you can out ninja the Akai.

The distortion on either box is garbage and does nothing good to the outcome, best avoided.

If i had to choose its would be the Akai, but if i got to choose any outcome, i would build a custom eurorack dual filter with some modulation modules and a sequencer…no oscillators (other than to modulate the filter) just a dedicated eurorack desktop filter box.

2 Likes

Wow, thanks for such a detailed reply… very helpful!

OTO biscuit is an amazing stereo filter box.

yeah, got the software emulation and does really a dirty job

also the enjoy electronics reminder seems very interesting

1 Like

Something new…

3 Likes

One thing add : The Akai goes for 1500,-€ and I am hearing that they start to fail at some people and there are no parts to repair it. I got the Filterfactory for 400,- and I find it pretty good. Would love to have the Akai, but not for the price and risk.
The idea with the Eurorack is super ! There are a lot of cool Filters available (mono and stereo). But beware, you can get addicted ! :smiley:

Would love to hear your opinion about it !

1 Like

Does anybody have experience with this two ?

https://schneidersladen.de/en/elta-music-polyvox-pf3

https://schneidersladen.de/en/herbs-and-stones-solid-felt

I think the MFB Filter Box hasn’t been mentioned yet - stereo, has an analogue sequencer and a trigger button, midi sync + note control, glide, 24db slope - and of course discontinued, but a lot of fun if you can find one.

The Frostwave Resonator (and its copies, which are still being made) is in pedal format but works well for desktop use. It’s a dual MS-20 filter clone with CV control of the resonance and frequency for the HP and LP filters, and is both built like the proverbial tank and sounds huge. But it’s mono :frowning: .

I recently picked up the Elta Music PF-3. Loved the sound of the polivoks in my Db-01 and wanted to experiment with it in stereo and in parallel. So far, seems to have a tonne of range and fun to be had, and the soft and hard modes are drastically different but both useful

3 Likes

Yeah forgot about these. But for Desktop-Filters I prefer a Stereo-Mode. More possibilities to use it.

1 Like

For sure - and the MFB Filter box is really nice in stereo.

1 Like

And the price back than was 150,- € !!! Manfred Fricke build some cool sounding and affordable devices back in the day. His Dominion 1 is one of the best sounding Monosynths ever. Super underrated. RIP

1 Like

Really enjoying this one

https://www.touellskouarn.fr/stompboxes/ar-merc-het-brao-pedal

and very curious about

https://herbs---stones.com/solid-felt/

1 Like

That’s why I got into his synths - the Synth Lite II was my first and didn’t break the bank - now the prices have shot up. I think I got the Filter Bank for not too much more than what it originally sold for, but that was before Manfred died…

1 Like
1 Like