Desktop mono synth recommendations

Typhon is pretty mental. The FM, onboard FX, and 3x modulators allow you to go very far with the simple 2 OSC setup.

The next firmware update that sorts out the MIDI clock sync for the internal sequencer will probably arrive by the time you’d be able to acquire one too. In the meantime, it’s easy to manually sync it to other gear, like this.

4 Likes

I’ve got a DB01 and I really like it. It seems super limited when you look at it but it really can do a lot of stuff. The sequencer is excellent and it has all the scales you’ll need.
I’d say it’s up there with the best for making Techno.

6 Likes

Digitone ?

Not knob per function.

Yeah, sorry, what was I thinking.

Get a Digitone.

6 Likes

As-1 is kinda amazing but not 1 knob per function. (It’s a single voice prophet 6)

The se02 is great, the Inter face is small, the sequencer is great, can do parameter locking per step. Fix are limited do a simple delay.

The bass station 2/afx station is a fantastic mono synth with a great sequencer and the afx mode means you can get sone really interesting sounds. But no excuse and is kinda big.

Hyper synth Xenophone, is basically 1 knob per function, has a bunch of filter types, a slew of on board effects and interesting modulation options. It’s a little expensive.

Obviously the elektron a4 mk1, is basically 4 monosynths, isn’t one knob per function, checks all the boxes though and can be used to do a bunch of other things as well.

Sh01a checks all the boxes except fx, but can be a 4 voice poly as well.

Tb03 has everything you are asking for (including efx ) but it’s a 303 clone. It’s a one trick pony but it’s the best trick in the world.

6 Likes

Typhon without any hesitation.

Mono synth of the year.

8 Likes

Malekko Manther ticks all boxes as well

1 Like

I‘m relatively new to the whole Synth game, but I learned one thing:
Listen to your ears.

A specific synth may look like the best on paper, but in the end specs doesn’t matter if you don’t Love the sound…

5 Likes

It sounds great. What’s the deal with the midi? Does it not sync at the minute? Also, when you say manually sync, are you just setting the bpms to match and hitting go?

The micro freak definitely should be mentioned and totally checks a lot of the boxes, I’m not sure about the one knob per function though.

5 Likes

Yes. Initially it was omitted. Then in the latest two updates it hasn’t been stable enough. I know that the next update will stabilize it. I do not know exactly when it will drop, however.

Correct, and perhaps nudging the tempo +/- with the encoder to get it to line up perfectly. DJ style.
Once lined up, the bpm does not drift, like it did in earlier firmwares.

1 Like

Model:Cycles? 6 mono synths? Small, own sequencer, FX etc.
Knob per function… sort of.

If you’re happy to use an external sequencer, the Vermona Mono Lancet is awesome, so nice to play. Also Erica DB01… love the sound of that.

2 Likes

I just watched Stimming’s review of the Microfreak. I passed over this one when it came out but now I am thinking about getting one. There are quite a few small mono-synths out there that are excellent, but this one seems to really stand out. Technically it is paraphonic.

At one time I looked at multiple semi-modular synths including the Minibrute 2S and the offerings from Dreadbox and ended up with the Minibrute 2S for its features and sequencer. I decided that I am not interested in the effects that are glommed onto Dreadbox’s stuff. I own a Medusa, though, and despite it being somewhat of a “Frankensynth” it is really cool. I got it for cheap from Juno in the UK. I don’t know how they manage to sell them for the price they do, but it was a huge savings. Several folks on Muffwiggler who are located in the US bought them there.

I just realized you want effects and I recommended two synths without them because that is what I prefer! Oops. :innocent:

What about the Roland/Studio Electronics SE-02? It is small and has a built-in digital delay unit.

2 Likes

I was planning to recommend the Arturia Minibute 2S and Roland SE-02 as well. Both would be great choices.

3 Likes

Typhon.

2 Likes

Typhon is the obvious answer. It checks every box and is very well priced.

1 Like

Looking to replace my Bass Station 2 with something more portable. I have been playing around with a Typhon but so far haven’t gotten many satisfying sounds out of it by myself - and not a huge fan of most of the presets and their heavy use of effects. Looking for strong bread&butter bass and leads.

Besides looking at SH-01a or AS-1 are there any obvious others? And which are closest in ease of use / sweetspot to the BS2?

1 Like

Moog Minitaur

3 Likes

I have both, love both. I would say for ease of use and tweak ability the SH01a wins, and it’s pretty much all sweetspot, but the AS-1 is a monster and sounds fantastic. If I had to pick just one I would reluctantly go for the AS-1 as it’s got a broader palette (and is capable of absolutely ripping bass)

2 Likes