Deoxidizing Elektron internals

I have been having problems with my md recently and elektron support suggested that i open the box up and make sure all of the connections are reseated properly. they also made mention that i may need to deoxidize some of the connections inside. something i have never done before. so before i open up the md, can anyone give me any suggestions and/ or pointers about deoxidizing the internals without harming the unit?

help me return her to her former glory!
thanks!

1 Like

Look into deoxit. If the potentiometers are jumping values just spritz some into the pots and rotate a few times, will clear up most issues.

Also if you can let us know your issue, we can better help with suggestions.

my original post

the reply that i got from elektron hq was to open up the unit and check that none of the connectors have gotten knocked loose/ to disconnect then reconnect all connections and if need be deoxidize any connections that may have gotten some build up on them.

thanks for the tip on deoxit. ill look into it. that may be all the information that i need here, but if there are any tips and tricks anyone has to keep me from destroying my precious im all ears!

I’ve needed to deoxidize my MDs several times. Learning how has saved me a few support tickets and lengthy round trips to the repair shop in LA.

My personal situation: If you boot up your MD and you get weird characters on the display, but Test Mode indicates everything is OK, you may be suffering from the same problem I have been. It apparently can be caused by a high-humidity environment such as my basement. I purchased a dehumidifier about a year ago and the issue hasn’t cropped up since.

Tools: DeOxit is your friend. You also will need a single hex wrench (not sure the exact size, but FYI the correct one will work on both the external and internal screws). It’s very helpful to use a magnetic wrench or at least have a magnetic pickup tool as well.

What I’ve done:

• Pull all the knobs off gently. Use your fingers and your patience.
  • Use your hex wrench to unscrew the faceplate screws. Lift the faceplate off, then unscrew all the screws that secure the circuit board.
    -Now it gets tricky.-
  • Gently and slowly, lift the board up. It is attached to the lower section by several ribbon cables. The point where each cable meets it is is a plastic connector with the female side above and the male below. Each male side has several fragile metal pins extending upward.
  • Grasp each connector gently and pull the female top straight upward. You can wiggle it a slight bit if it’s tight, just don’t overdo it. Disconnect all the cables this way and lay the top circuit board aside.
  • Surround each set of metal pins with a thick absorbent cloth to protect the rest of the lower circuitry from the DeOxit.
  • Spray each set of pins according to the DeOxit instructions. I find 3-4 quick blasts is enough. You can use a small piece of cloth to wipe the pins and soak up any excess fluid.
  • I spray the insides of the female tops once as well.
  • When I reconnect the cables, I usually slide each connector up and down once or twice to make sure the DeOxit has touched everything.
  • Now do everything in reverse to reconnect the top and bottom.

Now that I’m used to doing the job, I can usually finish the process in an hour if I’m careful. Hope this helps!

9 Likes

do you mean the connectors (pins) that im not spraying currently or are you refering to something else?
thanks for the info, that’s the kind of stuff i need because i get real scared im gonna destroy something!

Your goal is to expose a single set of pins to the DeOxit spray, but you want to shield everything else in the MD from the spray.

3 Likes

cool, thanks for all the help dubathonic!

1 Like

Does deoxidizing will prevent the MD to not work at high humidity?

I have an issue with my MnM with the main volume knob. When I turn up or down the volume it sounds scratchy. I’m wondering if the potentiometer could use some deoxit

Personally I’d just try turning the pot all the way up and down about 50 times and see if things improve that way. 9 times out of 10 it’s some dust
that can be moved to the pots outer extremities without any further problems.

Probably obvious but just in case; do this with the machine off…

1 Like