Demoscene and 8bit culture

Wanted to start a topic not just about trackers but the demoscene/8bit culture , hardware and art surrounding it.

Here is a timeline dating back to the 1930’s ! A Good article write up on Goto80’s Wordpress website. Please share your demoscene thoughts here !

Nothing like loading up a good demo on my Commodore64 off the SD card reader and sitting back with a nice tall beer and a watching the magic :beer: point me in the direction of the nearest demoparty.

6 Likes

Love the demoscene. I’m still relatively new to participating, but demoparties are awesome.

Revision is coming up soon, and it’ll be online! Maybe I’ll try submitting something :metal:
https://2020.revision-party.net/start

2 Likes

For the benefit of others for reference, there is this one as mentioned on trackers …

1 Like

Yeah I was about to post that article in trackers thread but also didn’t see any threads about the demoscene and the art surrounding it. Incoming lots of demo videos !

7 Likes

Welp i guess it’s a good time as any to figure out the demo video making software I loaded onto the c64. Lol it’s a lot harder to make a demo with only yourself :wink:

maaaaan…was making chiptunes on LSDJ and Nanoloop probably 5 years ago. Modding Gameboys and everything. I really enjoyed it and went to Little Sound Assembly which was a 7 hour drive from where I was. It was really cool and was just blown away by what guys like Hypnogram and Doomsberry were doing. Met a bunch of “chipfamous” artists to who were all down to earth. Lotta fun.

I honestly stopped though cause it was a really lonely venture. I’d see the culture that surrounded it over in the EU on documentaries and stuff and even in places like NYC or Japan where there’d be crews and an actual demo scene. Might have to pick it back up for fun.

Funny though cause it’s pretty much the same with techno. A lonely venture unless you’re in a big city or the EU. Maybe, it’s time to move :laughing:

1 Like

The whole cracker intro stuff on c64 was always super fascinating to me… I always figured it was what brought about demoscene but didn’t have a c64 growing up, maybe someone who knows more might let me know!

2 Likes

Oh damn, sucks that you’re in a place where it’s not a big thing. One of the reasons why I keep making chipmusic is because of the awesome community here in Melbourne :slight_smile:

1 Like

nice to see more chip people on here. i actually played one of the littlesoundassemblies a few years ago and can say that noah (hypnogram) is mad talented and super chill. kinda miss what the chiptune scene used to be like. we used to have a collective in detroit that threw events and traveled all over for shows called piko piko detroit (rip).

3 Likes

Ya…I have a knack for being in places like that. First Alabama, and now Maui. I’ll take Hawaii iver Alabama any day though lol I thought anout maybe throwing a chipfest of sorts since we get alot of tourists from Japan and I imagine Ozland isnt too far too.

1 Like

Small world! PG was a cool place and Noah was super nice. Really neat stuff happenin with Amigas too

2 Likes

A chip festival in Hawaii is an absolutely amazing idea, I’d come to / play at that for sure. I’m pretty sure you’d also get plenty of people who frequent Square Sounds (both Melbourne and Tokyo) attending as well.

1 Like

Alright, we’ll do it after this virus stuff is over with. It’s been on my mind since we got here 4 years ago. I’ve since made many friends who are involved with sound, lighting, production and venues so it would be easy to put together now. Cool! PM me with any ideas etc.

1 Like

We all still making chiptunes lmao I mean there might not be nearly as many small
Shows but I will see lots of strong artists in the scene who keep making music regardless of shows. So I sync my chiptune hardware to my elektrons / c64 , sega midi genmdm , MidiNES , nanoloops on the gameboys , lsdj And all that Jazz. I don’t think I can give it up even if the scene crumbles that’s the sound I love to make and even make chiptunes and VGM style on the digitone now :slight_smile: recently been wanting to do more demoscene style Commodore 64 jams! Incoming loud annoying ringmod synths :wink:

1 Like
3 Likes

1 Like

https://www.windows93.net/