[ Definitive List ] of Documentary (Club Culture & Electronic Music)

Rewind 4Ever: The History of UK Garage (2013 Documentary) | Boiler Room

1 Like

Episode 1 That UK Sound - Acid House Documentary

Episode 2 That UK Sound - Roots Of UK Jungle Documentary

Episode 3 That UK Sound - Pirates, Mcs’ and D’n’B Documentary

Episode 4 - UK Garage & Bassline

1 Like

Everybody In The Place - An Incomplete History of Britain 1984 -1992 by Jeremy Deller

2 Likes

BASS WORSHIP: The Story of DUB and SOUND SYSTEM Culture (2020 Documentary)

Moritz von Oswald talks Dub, Remixing, and being inspired | Red Bull Music Academy

1 Like

MIAMI BASS MOVIE “The Bass That Ate Miami” Full Movie

Real scenes series from Resident Advisor

1 Like

This part isn’t really true at all, although it is commonly repeated (mostly by The Guardian :joy: ) young working class people were well off and happy, for the first time in about a decade due to working class people being allowed to buy their own house, buying records, cars, designer clothes which were something we could afford for the first time, and many people were pulling up to raves in hot hatchbacks, BMWs, etc. The rave scene was born out of entrepreneurial spirit, motivation and positivity, young working class people were feeling empowered, not disillusionment and isolation, like it or not without Thatcher there probably would not have been a rave scene in the UK, but that doesn’t sit well with quite a large proportion of the media who have a left wing bias, but it is true nonetheless.

I know because I was right in the thick of it as a working class boy from a council estate.

Edit: This isn’t to suggest that the government approved, quite the opposite, that part is true.

3 Likes

Sorry i just blindly copy paste description from the youtube channel who post this documentary. I linked your point to the youtube documentary and clean things a bit.

If others from the original towns who lived the facts (more or less) - you can really write your facts
That’s very cool…

1 Like
1 Like

The Underground Sound of Paris

1 Like

World Traveller Adventures - 23 Minute Warning - Spiral Tribe

You could activate subtitle on this one

2 Likes

Heretik - We had a dream

You could activate subtitle on this one

2 Likes

this is an excellent series.

1 Like
3 Likes
3 Likes

Drum & Bass : The Movement was already posted
I will make the head of the thread tomorrow so people can make a search before to post so they know if this is posted already :wink:

1 Like

I don’t want to derail this excellent thread, but as a fellow working class boy from a council estate, I can assure you that it was not a prosperous time for all. That may be your experience, but the 80s were a tough time for a lot of people from the North and the rave scene was an escape. Whilst it is true what you say in that for some people the rave scene was an opportunity to express their entrepreneurial spirit, motivation and positivity, for others it was a way to have fun, forget about their Monday to Friday and stick 2 fingers up to the establishment. Maybe this is an example of the famous North/South divide…

4 Likes

Thanks @William_WiLD I think there may well have been regional differences, but where I lived right in the centre of the M25 the construction industry and retail was booming, most of my crew were in construction industry which payed very well, some even had car phones or luggable mobile phones. The lads that brought it to the UK in the first place were pretty well off as well, even more so now :laughing:

1 Like

Definitely didn’t want to present my experience as the only truth, and I think that Leeds and Manchester were probably really the only knowledge of the northern scene I had, which were quite in a housing boom too, I know it was different in other areas though, but to be fair if we are talking about how it started - Oakenfold and all that lot - then they were not poor isolated kids.

Edit: Yeah the rave scene was sticking fingers up to the establishment no matter where we lived, that was universal thankfully :laughing: And no thanks to Margaret Thatcher, but undeniable that “right to buy” was a catalyst no matter how unintentional.

1 Like

Oh damn, binge worthy thread. Looks like I’m getting nothing done tonight. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like