[ Templates ] DAW, Overbridge & settings (Mac by me) and (PC by RAFH)

Meant to ask you - which Audio interface are you using? I usually have the DAW buffer set around 128 (i use Logic where i can but now having to use Ableton more because I want to use OB). If i set lower i tend to get the usually audio crackles and noise. Im planning to experiment a little with 2 new interfaces over Xmas; The Focusrite Clarett Pre2 (Thunderbolt) and the iConnectaudio2 (USB). Do you have experience with either? Any thoughts or reccomendations? Ive never used Bitwig but thinking of downloading the trial. You mention thats its the best from a sync perspective. How do you find the workflow, is it relatively easy to learn? Last thing i really need right now is a different complicated DAW. However, I’m prepared to give it a look because i would like to see a better mix of session & arrangement options over that provided by Ableton or Logic.

thx Again

Now we have AU and VST so you can use Overbridge session at least on Ableton, Bitwig and Logic

which Audio interface are you using ?

For this template I tend to do simple… less clutter !!! As anyway Audio is coming from USB I do not put any audio interface in the Process…
APPLE iMac on SIERRA 10.2.2 with Internal Audio Interface
Intel Core i7 3,1 GHz Memory 16GO 1600 MHz DDR3 Nvidia Geforce GT 750M 1024 Mo
Analog RYTM, Analog FOUR and Analog HEAT plugged on Elektron OVERHUB

Generally speaking on my iMac it’s Buffer to 64 samples (both in OB and DAW)
Then for Safety Margin Buffer I set it to 25 under Logic (But HEAT to 75/100 otherwise Bad Signal)
Then for Safety Margin Buffer I set it to 50 under Ableton Live and Bitwig Studio (But Heat to 100 otherwise Bad Signal)

If you experiencing some issues you can go to 128 and putting the Buffer safety Margin upper a bit (Generally Bad Audio comes from there !)

@Brister13 Can you give me your computer specifications please ?

Yes I find the overall user experience with OB better on Bitwig probably because on Bitwig you can run plugins on its own process I think it makes things better… For the overall experience I really didn’t like the User Interface in Bitwig in term of design BUT it’s a good compromise between Logic and Ableton you’ll get 2 mode like clip and arrangement LIKE Ableton, Bitwig gives few cool things you haven’t in Logic and Ableton. One thing I didn’t like is the lack to zoom a Track in both horizontally and Vertically like in LOGIC or a wave editor… especially to see if things are tight SYNC anyway a part that Bitwig is ROCK SOLID

1 Like

I would try The Clarett Pre 2 first it should be better… Rather to adjoin another USB device in your Overbridge session…

1 Like

oh thank you!!! will test the Logic OB Template later :slight_smile:

One thing that has been mention by Elektron if I remmember right: OB runs in 48khz. So it´s better to run your DAW in the same sample rate or in a multiplication of that (e.g. 96khz)

1 Like

Really @insect ? I read everything on the Last Update I didn’t see that… I will re-read more carefully tonight ! Of course… it change things if OB runs at 48kHz… Then session should be based on 16/48, 24/48 or 24/88200

Your feedback is appreciated to make things better, that’s a long time I do not have working on Logic especially on the Pro X version… maybe there’s new things to make the OB Template for Logic better.

from the Elektron website:

Key features:

Multiple audio channel streaming via USB (24 bit/48 kHz)
1 Like

William - my computer spec: Late 2012 iMac, 24gb RAM, 3.4ghz i7, 1tb Fusion drive. Several USB3 external drives

Great info thx. I’ll experiment with settings a little more later today & over the weekend

Yeah I just see ok nice to know so THANKS Insect :wink:

Ok so you should process like me… No hard drive plugged if possible. Only Overbridge devices on Overhub or Multi TT hub… or Elektron plugged on as many as request USB port to match the number of Elektron device you have on MAC. And then Overbridge session… Setting I give you and see what’s happening then :wink:

the Less USB plugged during OB session the best it is :wink:

1 Like

I use the Focusrite Clarett 4Pre with an Imac 27 (late 2012 i7).
Absolutely great sound card with good pre and very low latency, i recommend it.
I normally use 64 buffer under Logic and Bitwig.
I also use Bitwig and i can say it works perfectly on OSX Yosemite with Overbridge.
I prefer Bitwig over Live because its less expensive and IMO has better workflow.

2 Likes

Does anyone know how to get good sync with Logic Audio ? Is that even possible ? Thanks.

1 Like

Try to put Safety Margin Buffer at 25… you should get closely then (also small size buffer but normally you can’t do anything else as medium and large are not supported…)
I can be pretty close to Live and Bitwig with this values :

Settings are Buffer at 64 on both Logic Pro X (Small size ! medium and large are not supported by Overbridge) and Overbridge if you have problem pass it at 128
Margin is at 25 (same if problem pass it at 50/75)
Template is 16bits (or 24bits) - 48000 same in the Overbridge plugin (adapt it depend of how your working)
Don’t forget when processing with the HEAT to put back safety margin to 75/100 depend of your system overall performance

NB : @sovietpop Try with Internal Soundcard and only Overbridge Device too only to record OB Stream :wink:

1 Like

Thanks , seems to work ok for some time but when im recording its getting out of sync, maybe because im using the a4 at the same time.
To record i send the audio to a bus and record from that bus to an audio track.

You’re doing a great thing and I respect it, but it just seems a bit much just to use the AH. When does a person have time to be creative?

Sorry I’m not sure to understand. I haven’t elaborate a dedicated Analog HEAT Template exactly because there’s so much way to use it. However, [ 2 Audio Tracks ] or [ 1 audio Tracks + 1 Effect Track ] is perfect with the Analog HEAT one for processing, one for resample the processed back. That’s all. There’s just the Safety Margin Buffer to put to 75/100 as the AH will not handle 25 and 50 at least on my iMac the Heat doesn’t handle this values.

1 Like

My bad… I’m just rethinking certain things with Overbridge and the issues I’m having with the AH and I replied to your posts haphazardly. Peace.

2 Likes

What’s your issues with AH @BzNHz ?

As I wrote to support…

I installed Overbridge and all the necessary requirements for the AH and had it working properly in Studio One 3. I placed it on a track, tweaked the settings and rendered it with the results coming out not well. Then I decided to render it in real time and the results were great, but after I turned off the AH plug in on the initial track and loaded another one on the rendered track, the AH wasn’t processing any sounds. The meter was moving in the plug in but no sound was coming out and it said inactive. I tried connecting it manually and still nothing. Oddly when I switched over to the Overbridge control panel the AH was shown as connected. What do you think the issue is? I also want to mention that I got the Blue screen! It crashed my system twice so far and messed up everything on it both times. My network connections, my waves plug ins licenses are not in the waves manager control panel and now I’m hearing static type sounds through my chain.

On a pc

If you mean Bounced OFFLINE that’s because AH doesn’t support it. it’s physical processing so it’s need to be processed in REAL TIME… That’s why I speaking about 2 audio Tracks one for process, one for resample (REAL TIME) the processed back.

As it’s stated page 20 :
Overbridge plugins do not support offine (non-real-time) rendering/freezing of the arrangement. It only supports real-time rendering. Examples of DAWs that support real-time rendering well are Cubase and Renoise. Most other DAWs only support offine rendering.

but after I turned off the AH plug in on the initial track and loaded another one on the rendered track, the AH wasn’t processing any sounds.

Don’t run multiple instance of Analog HEAT on the same project it will confused the device. Move your plugin where your want to process (Or better SET it up somewhere once and don’t touch it again and send the signal where it is by audio routing option or to an effect track) rather to deactivate and open a new instance of it on another track.