Declick

Best to send the file and bug report to usercare@elektron.se that is what I did, hopefully a fix will be forthcoming.

1 Like

Will do. Also, the sample is actually 13.53 seconds.

1 Like

So no one figured this out ?

Coming form other samplers i’ve never had this issue since applying a micro fade in or pushing the attack on the envelope always works on them.
But here it’s making me nuts that the octa doesn’t buldge from the click.

Now that i check indeed if nothing is playing before the sample with Attack 1 or 2 there isn’t any click.
So what’s wrong ? The polyphony ? I don’t get it.

Could be, if a sample cuts off another sample it can click easily, because no matter what your attack is set to, the previous sample will be cut off instantly (sometimes increasing the attack time actually makes the click worse). One thing you could try is setting REL to 1 or 2 and manually locking HOLD on every trig to make the sampleplay just long enough that the REL reachs zero right before the next trig. It’s a hassle but it can work.

EDIT: also don’t worry about clicks too mcuh while you’re working on a track. Since everything’s going to be summed to stereo before it hits the DAC anyway, a track that clicks when it’s soloed might not click in the mix. Depending on your workflow it might be more efficient to finish your track and then co back and fine tune the hold and release (or whatever else works for you) at the end, right before you record it.

1 Like

Thanks man,

Yeah i woke up this morning thinking that i was worrying too much for nothing, as you say it’s easily covered by other track and on top of that it can be corrected in the daw once i export the finished project.
I was looking for a problem to fix instead of creating, silly me.

It can definitely be an issue though.

2 Likes

Yeah i think it depends on the genre too.
Mine tends to be quite busy with tracks and snippets.
But i’ve been on a Jonwayne octatrack streams binge recently and boy does it hurt.
The guy makes hip hop with a huge emphasis on the sample loop.
So. Many. Clicks…

I noticed also, it’s underestimating the issue to call it a click… There’s a slight thud on the mid freq it gives everything kind of a dull percussive attack. Goodbye smooth silky velvet waves of sounds :slight_smile:

Another thing you could try is going in after you have your sequence finished and manually adjusting the slices by ear with the sequencer running.

I did that first when i saw that attack had no effect thinking that my cuts were bad.
Sadly it’s the same issue. As long as a slice triggers before another finishes no matter what we do it’s always gonna click and pop.

And i don’t think elektron cares anymore after all these years so yeah, made my peace with it today. Ableton will take care of that once i start exporting tracks i feel are worth finalizing.

I disagree. Its not just about the attack. Hold and release are very useful too. As are the settings on AMP page 2.
Also worthy of note, mono samples are way easier to find zero crossings.

Its not easy, granted. Mostly because octatrack does not do microfades on your slices like ableton, Koala and others will do for you.
Its precise and laborious work. But it can be done.

But then, depending on what kind of music you want to make, and how you want to use samples, its pretty easy to see which sampler is more suitable for your needs.

Chopping up samples of records and sticking then back together to make new ones? Probably not octatrack.

Real time alteration, FX, mangling, performance and intergration with other gear? 100% octatrack

also disagree - reduce hold and release so that there’s no overlap and then there’s no click.

it’s ok for offline music making, but time consuming live.

I’m sure sezare will pop up in a sec with a time saving midi loopback hack that will resolve this! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I did say that i was ultimately fine with it. Besides, nitpicking a little bit doesn’t mean the machine is being hated on as a whole.

Mmm, and who said i want to change machine ? :slight_smile:

But i have to disagree, it has nothing to do with the envelope or our skills.
At the end it’s just the octatrack who doesn’t handle the overlap of two slices on the same track. It’s a know issue that can be found on multiple forums, plain and simple.

If you trigger a slice on it’s own just one time everything is obviously smooth, no click at start, no click at end

(assuming it’s cut properly… oh and yeah, i did hear about zero crossings and making precise cuts in my couple decades of making beats)

… but trigger another slice before it’s done, click.

Just try it. Someone made a more technical explanation of what they think it is further above in this thread or the other. No change in envelope will solve it. And it’s fine, it’s nothing close to the cons on some other machines.

And yeah, i appreciate that you may have your opinion about genres that should better fit this machine. But I and plenty of sample based hip hop artists who use the octatrack beg to disagree.
It’s all about how the workflow fits the persona. Don’t be too hung up on things like that man, anything is good to make some music as long as you feel good with it and find what you need on it.
Some people from all genres across the board make great music with this one and even other cheaper machines… What a world.
I finally found mine, it literally felt so natural to learn this one and i’m flowing on it already.
:wink:

Mmmm

Unless you’re into genres of music that require overlap between slices :wink:

But like i said above, it’s all good man. I enjoy the nitpicking AND the machine at the same time. Besides once you reach a certain number of tracks you don’t hear it anymore.

That’s about polyphony though… sorry i misunderstood your gripe.

there are plenty plenty things to gripe about! but, like you said, plenty to enjoy too. :v: