Declick

Wow! That picture is quite illustrative and edifying! I’m going to try it later, but yeah, I’m not using FIN and FOUT if that is the case.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I think the best and simpliest solution is to add an hihat to cover clics! :smile:

LOL - someone else said they use a crash cymbal lol.

More radical! :smile:
A little hihat suffice hopefully.
Actually when I use my guitar fir realtime mangling I make a kick / snare / hihat from it, so I don’t care about clicks…

For soft pads overdub it’s more complicated but doable.

I just went digging in the Abelton manual, and it seems what they’ve done is quite brilliant. No wonder why Ableton - to me - always felt like it “just works.” It helps my understanding to compare Ableton and OT thus.

Ableton manual, for session view clips, emphasis mine:

The Clip Fade switch, when enabled, applies a short fade to the clip start and end to avoid clicks at the clip edges. The length of the fade is signal-dependent and ranges from 0-4 milliseconds.

Ableton manual, for arrangement view clips:

Selecting a fade handle and pressing the Delete deletes the fade, unless the Create Fades on Clip Edges option is enabled in the Record/Warp/Launch Preferences. In this case, pressing Deletereturns the fade handle to a default length of 4 ms. With this option enabled, new clips in the Arrangement View will have these short “declicking“ fades by default.

Talk about it at Elektron. I’d compare Ableton with other DAWs only. I use Samplitude only for samples editings and finalizing.
Fed up with computers.

I feel you. For some, myself included, it is a useful comparison to make.

Indeed, there are tradeoffs with every piece of gear. I am just trying to educate myself on what those are, not because I am bored, but because I have experienced these issues with the OT, and I want to understand what I can do about it.

If it becomes to much of a pain, then perhaps the “costs” of using OT might not be worth its benefits, for me personally.

Of course we compare with what we know.
Boss Rc loopers I know don’t click, they have an efficient fade in / out.

Good reading!

And thanks to @wolfgangschaltung and others for curves…

1 Like

I’ve also enjoyed the OTs raw clickiness at times, that’s why I suggested that auto-declick should only happen in the specific situations mentioned. It’s not possible to prevent clicks via amp envelope when voice stealing occurs or another (plocked) sample starts playing on the same track.

2 Likes

@sezare56

I just read through that thread, and with respect to the delayed FIN, it seems like that happens when using PUP machines, because of how the FOUTs of PUP machines overlap the beginning of the loop, which is by design. But, someone reported that on regular recorders, the FOUT is applied at the end.

In your experience, are regular recorders delaying the placement of the fade in by the amount you specify in the FIN parameter?

Yes. I mostly used track recorders instead of Pickups. With Pickups, the fade out is hearable at the beginning of the recording, using overdub. With track recorders the fade out is at the end of the sample, increasing its length, hence wrong loop. :slightly_frowning_face:

I use PUMs all the time to create clickless loops of drones. You do need to let them overdub at least once. You can then loop them clickless by playing the buffers in a flex (and then pitch shifting with trigless trigs), but only with a one-shot trigger and infinite hold (and loop of course). Without one-shot, so triggering at the beginning of the loop every time, clicks.
It seems the triggers are not sample-accurate.

1 Like

@sezare56 I see what you mean, but extending the length of the sample does not seem to be the same as delaying the fade in, assuming the sample endpoint is at the end of the recorded audio not the end of the sample. I.e., the sample is set to loop without the extra time at the end. I need to try it later.

@yrn1 Interesting. I wonder if this could help normal recorders. I normally do not use loop mode on my samples; I just place trigs to retrigger the loop. I wonder if loop mode would help.

AKAIK it extends length with FOUT, adding silence after the fade, and delay FIN adding silence before the fade, without extending the length.

I’ve left fin and fout at lowest levels for both PU and flex recordings. I record 4 bar AR loops with flex and live instruments with pu’s. I don’t really ever get clicks but I feel I’m the odd one out. I don’t even trim my samples as they’re set up to instantly loop in real time.

For slices I sometimes get clicks but I just use the general amp settings on the track (no plocks) and raise the amp attack to 1 or 2, hold at 1 or 2, and release in the 40’s…

The Elektrodork part of me is strangely tempted to try different fin/fout or maybe just fin and no fout, make observations, analyze, yada yada yada, but from where I’m sitting it’s kind of an “if it ain’t broke” situation on my end right now…

2 Likes

I used to add rides to cover tape hiss. Now I add tape hiss to cover pure digital silence

3 Likes

Oh daaamn, this might explain a lot of my frustrations… I remember all sorts of timing issues with loops when using fin/fout…

Like @Open_Mike I tend to use the minimum fade settings with no timing issues, for ambient type sounds like say a sustained chord drone then I set attack a little higher to get rid of any obvious bump on the loop, I will add though that I rarely use pickups other than for capturing overdubs then grabbing stuff from the buffer to use in a flex slot, so far.

2 Likes

I did some testing yesterday, and I can confirm what @sezare56 says about the delayed application of FIN and FOUT. Those settings are pretty useless, especially when sampling looping patterns where there is some latency. The reason is that the placement of the fade will probably not necessarily line up with the placement of the audio due to the latency.

In the course of my testing, I learned some other important things. I am sharing here in case it helps anyone else.

• When you are sampling a looping pattern from, say, Ableton, there might be a little latency between the start of the sampling and the actual placement of the audio. The best remedy? Set the start point, and do a ROTATE POS TO START in the sample edit menu. This is a huge revelation for me.
  • It is not neccessary to use fades all the time (duh - lol). I think the only time they are needed is for pads and drones, etc., where the tail of the sample gets cut.
  • If fades are needed, then what I think is the easiest and fastest way to fade is: i) Go to EDIT screen. ii) First, move the LEVEL knob all the way to the end. iii) Then, hold FUNC, and bring START POS to end minus 0.02 to 0.05 seconds. iv) FADE OUT v) Then, move level knob to zero (important note: it maintains the same time span you selected!). vi) FADE IN.
  • This last point is really important: As I have seen written in other threads, if you have unexplainable clicks in your audio, then clear the sample slot and try again. There might be some bugs in OT when sampling over non-empty recording buffers. Knowing that would have saved me a lot of frustration lol.

Thanks to all for all the help in this thread.

7 Likes

Very useful tips, Thanks!

Step V: keep hold FUNC too or not?

If you want your trim or edit points to snap to zero (which you probably do), then I am pretty sure you need to hold FUNC while turning the knobs to move the trim or edit points.

1 Like

Actually, technically you might not need to hold FUNC while moving the level knob to zero, since you are, well, moving it to zero.