Dealing with power without switches

I was wondering how do you deal with gear that has no power switch. For example my Moog Mother 32 has no switch, neither do any of the FX pedals. When I’m done, I just yank power from the back of the device. Thankfully all Elektron gear has the on/off switch, and I turn all the boxes off before leaving my studio.

Do you live some of the gear on? For example, I don’t turn off my mixer or speakers. Is that ok?

Use power strips that you can turn off with a built in switch

2 Likes

I turn everything off at the wall when not in use.

I have various rack mounted power switches like this one.

My Genelecs automatically power off when there is no signal for a while which is nice. I like to turn things off when I’m not using them though anyway.

Things do last longer if they aren’t powered on all the time. You also have more of a risk of power surges damaging things while your gear is powered on vs off.

Just make some switch easily accessible to power things off when you’re done.

If you want to get fancy there are sequence programable ones that turn things on and off with a delay in sequence.

3 Likes

Yup 1 switch to rule them all!
Whole set up goes back to one GPO that distributes power to 10 x 4 way power boards…

A. For a common earth
B. It’s so easy just to flick one switch

But that is in Australia where power is very clean…

I think I’d like to see a picture of your powerboards…

Adafruit has these little inline power switches that I use on my gear that doesn’t have its own switch.

4 Likes

This is perfect. Thank you. I have a bit of space available in my rack exactly for this kind of power strip.

1 Like

Way more expensive, but a great option for items that don’t have power switches, or power isn’t accessible due to being in a rack, etc. I bought power strips made by TP Link under the KASA Home Automation brand. I have an app that I can turn power on and off for every synth that is mounted in the rack. There are 1 plug, 3 plug, and 6 plug version.

1 Like

The one I have is “Technical Pro” brand. I wasn’t super concerned with a fancy audiophile power switch because I have the whole thing plugged into my Furman power conditioner.

I like being able to only turn on what I need. I can also turn my speakers on last and off first. I have 2 of them but will probably add a 3rd when I setup the next area of my home studio.

2 Likes