DAWless setup with E:MS

Hi!
Having just a M:S I think a add synth to my config would fit great…

I love Moog-style techno deep bass & interesting leads. If I had a budget , I would like to have Moog Subsequent 37 or Elektron Analog. Unfortunately I can’t spend that much money.

I’m looking for something definitely cheaper but more interesting than volca bass/volca keys and working well with M:S.

The music genres I want to produce include dub techno, deep house, ambient and minimal.

I am seriously considering:
Arturia Keystep Pro + Moog Werkstatt/Behringer Model D/ Modal Skulpt + Dreadbox Typhon/Uno Synth + Zoom MS70-CDR

Any other ideas?

Roland SH-01a - mono and polysounds, authentic sounding. JX-03 is also worth a look, you can often find them cheap used, a real sleeper in the Roland Boutique range IMHO.

4 Likes

Jx-03 is a great synth, I hate the low amount of patch memory though…

Micromonsta 2 is a very capable, bi-timbral, VA and should cost less than your m:s. Can’t really comment on its suitability for your sounds. No sequencer in it so you would be using up tracks on your m:s to drive it.

EDIT: … or use the Arturia Keystep Pro you’re talking about

1 Like

Sh01a is a beast . Had like 10 synths that are much more capable but stuck with the SH01a for fast Sound Design and very low effort to make those sounds sit in the mix

For Dub Techno Id want a synth that has enough voices to play a proper chord.

1 Like

i’d stay away from behringer stuff if you want a compliment to the MS. Not anything to do with their reputation or drama, but because the crave is a bit of a nightmare to use with the MS maybe probably its just me lol, but its overly complicated to use and get the two to gel together so from my own opinion avoid behringer crave if you dont want to constantly have to tune the thing or even use i mean i thought it was broke for 3 weeks then realizing it wasnt calibrated, just my two cents its not a bad choice but there are much better choices.

Model:S + Typhon + Microfreak is a really tidy and flexible setup.

2 Likes

Agree with @InTheAM, polyphony is a must IMHO for dub techno and deep house. The recommendations for the Roland Boutiques is solid (I have the older JU-06 and it’s not bad at all). Not sure of your budget, but there’s also the Korg Minilogue (both the cheaper older original version and the newer XD), which are analog and polyphonic, with keyboards and internal sequencers (plus effects).

1 Like

M:C maybe ?