DAWless for techno production

Yeah, I think a lot of people use reverb as a “set & forget” thing, and more often than not that just clutters the mix. If you want a big wet reverb sound, giving it a long tail but then choking it at carefully chosen points can take it from a washed out mess to a tight, complex rhythmic element.

1 Like

Ballsy! Did you work within 1 project for the whole set or have to load other projects?

One project, about 15 patterns if I remember rightly.

Yeah I suppose perf mode gives quite a bit of scope to keep things interesting and tempo changes etc, so 1 project makes sense, just never would have thought of trying a longish set on mine. I have not used it for a while but that you did it sparked some interest.

1 Like

Plate reverb on hats and lead, and a subtle density reverb in the whole mix at about 10% wet, HPF at 500hz…. Pretty much takes care of it all for me. Adds presence without costing separation in the mix. At minimum it’s a good starting point for hardware.

5 Likes

Born in March of '76. Totally forgot about that show :rofl:

2 Likes

Now I know where the inspiration came from…

1 Like

But this was my jam as a kid (Born '75)

Use Maschine to make techno…had to bring it back on topic :slight_smile:

Here’s some wisdom in general:

Sometimes I get the feeling that music culture today is made by computer scientists, because you need to always fill in a form…

So, I work on the idea, write it down, and then I turn to the computer. In the early days of Kraftwerk we had a tape machine, and now I basically use the computer just as a recording tool"

2 Likes

How important or is the drum machine in techno? Maybe it’s weird but I realise it’s just a meter, sometimes a simple rhythm. Most of the time it’s a saturated kick and some hi-hats and a lot of labour for that. Sometimes it has no place in the mix. It seems to me that even the rhythm is achieved in a different way than the elusive best techno drum machine. Correct me if I’m wrong. I’m just starting to wonder if having one bass drum module like m-base 11 or whatever, some lone eurorek module is enough. And all other devices such as jomox, analogue rhythm, techno system, syntakt similar machines are just overrated and don’t matter in this genre and don’t need so much attention. Unless you think of it as a groovebox.

I just couldn’t find a more appropriate topic. This is the closest to what I’m going through :]

not sure what discussion you’re looking for but obviously depending on the type of techno you’re looking for, there are beautiful sets out there that don’t include drum machines, you can also easily replace the drum synths with samples so a simple sampler can do just fine.
if you’re looking for synth as sound source then drum machines are not overrated at all, they are just sound source you can generate with. you can also use synths as sound source for percussion parts, noise for hats, basic waveforms with pitch envelopes and some filter, all would work - depending on the type of techno you’re after.

a nice drum machine-less set that I absolutely love

1 Like