DAW talk. From Logic to Ableton... I'm thinking of making the plunge *edit* Crisis Averted!

many of the daws can accomplish similar things but it’s the workflow that really sets them apart, I think ableton is the closest daw to an instrument workflow itself… definitely worth checking out whenever you’re ready for it.

1 Like

I’ve tried to like Ableton, but it’s just not for me. So many things about it just seem unintuitive and clunky. I’ve always preferred the workflow of more linear-style DAWs like Cubase, Logic, and Studio One. I actually started out with Reason, which is idiosyncratic in its own way.

@BLKrbbt stop buying shit dude. Seriously. You’ve already got way more than anyone might need to make a lifetime’s worth of music. I think you should sell a bunch of shit, pay off debts, and learn a select few bits of gear really well (that includes Logic) so you can make some music… Assuming making music is actually your goal here. If it’s not, feel free to ignore this and keep collecting things.

4 Likes

Ableton Live is awesome.

But have you seriously looked into Logic? Because what you describe as a problem with Logic, parameter modulation, is actually solved quite well in Logic.

There is not much difference to Live. Although I have to admit that the solution in Logic seems a bit outdated compared to Live.

And if modulation is what you’re looking for, then nobody beats Bitwig. This is next level s!!t.

I’ve been using Logic since upgrading my DAW to Mac. It was logical for me to get Logic :loopy:
And I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised. Logic really offers a lot. But it’s not perfect either.

1 Like

Thank you for the videos!

1 Like

Totally feel you!

It’s because of the music that I bought everything I have.

For example, I wanted all my bases covered. I started with the Grandmother, which is monophonic. Then I decided to pick up the Matriarch to play chords and Round Robin with Paraphony. I needed a paraphonic synth, and I didn’t want to compromise, so I went with a Prophet 6 with its fantastic stereo imaging.

I really appreciate the advice!

If you want to here how I put this gear to use, I’d love to show you my SoundCloud! I’m really proud of what Ive made .

1 Like

That is by far the most important thing, and looks like you’ve been busy. Props! :ok_hand:

1 Like

Oh my god. There’s like 8 times more! I make a track every other day.

Not all are bangers, of course, but at least I get the idea executed!

I keep deleting from my SoundCloud to make room for new stuff.

I even went back to school and got my Associates of Fine Art so I can make my own album art, and I’m now I’m going for an Associates of Applied Science for digital design so I can make my own music videos.

It like a whole thing. I’m just not quite there as I learn all I need to make it right.

I really appreciate you!

1 Like

Being able to finish tracks is the biggest hurdle for most musicians, in my experience. After that, it’s being able to keep making music consistently.

Sounds like you’ve got both of those covered. The rest can all be learned. I highly recommend spending some concerted effort learning about mix engineering as those technical skills can really push things to the next level.

Big up mate!

2 Likes

Logic is awesome for a hardware set-up. Set it up as a multitrack tape recorder, hit record, jam away on your hardware, then arrange / edit / mix / master in Logic. You’re using Logic for what’s it’s best at doing.

1 Like

That’s a really good observation.

I totally agree, and will stick with Logic.

You seem to have figured this out, but you definitely need to go to GAA much more than you need Ableton Live

Ooo. What’s GAA? Is it cool? Because I’ll buy it right away!

It’s Gear Addicts Anonymous

It was sarcasm.

The only thing you added to the conversation was to criticize.

Hold up , how do you afford school AND all that gear ?

I’m a disabled veteran who never used his GI Bill until now because I have a difficult time with PTSD after the war.

Since it comes with a housing allowance, I use what I normally pay in rent to manage the credit cards I put the gear on.

1 Like

It’s actually funny, but I can’t afford a four year school even with the GI Bill, so I go to Chicago City Colleges.

I’m on my third Associates degree. Just to use up the benefits I earned.

1 Like

You’re actually wrong. It was just a joke based on all your talk about your GAS.

In all honesty, one of the diagnostic symptoms of PTSD is impulse control.

My apologies. You are the paramount of wit.

I misunderstood because your “joke” was at my expense, and not about the topic of the thread.

Let’s do a little comedic exercise. Try making a joke about the topic. It doesn’t have to be as funny as your joke.

I’ll go first.

There is no “Logic” in me using Ableton, because I’m “Ableton” to do the same thing in Logic.

See. I used puns.

You’re turn!

(The grammar mistake above is a trap! Don’t take the bait!)