DAW talk. From Logic to Ableton... I'm thinking of making the plunge *edit* Crisis Averted!

Yes.

I just mentioned the most recent purchases… I also got the entire line of Moog semi modulars and a Prophet 6.

You are absolutely right, I just needed to hear it from someone else…

Thank you.

Gottdamm, I was in a moment of weakness! G.A.S. is a mutha!

There is a world of possibilities just with these 3, i don’t think you need to be learning another DAW at the moment!

1 Like

No, I totally agree. Im so glad I posted… I really was about to buy another DAW.

And its six. I meant the ENTIRE line. Mother32, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch…

And TWO DFAMs.

(…help. i have a problem… IM ADDICTED TO GEAR!)

Not sure how long you’ve had your hardware, but I would suggest sitting with each individual device and getting to know them really well, before even opening a daw.

But if you’re intent on immediately incorporating another DAW, why not take advantage of an Ableton free trial first, before spending more cash.

2 Likes
3 Likes

OMG that is a lot of gear!
but hey, i got into modular a few years ago so i know the pull

1 Like

Oh no… its WAY worse than that.

I also got a TR8s and an MC101… A keystep pro, beatstep pro and the 37…

I even got the AX Edge keytar!

and its only bee 10 months since I bought the first one.

Damn, get yourself into therapy asap!

2 Likes

I feel like an Anime Character playing that thing.

uWu

1 Like

Sorry if I will tempt you to switch to Ableton but you can try Ableton for free for 90 days.

1 Like

I have a copy of Lite that I could check out, but I didn’t want to be tempted. I usually blindly jump in and immerse myself.

Thank you for the suggestion!

2 Likes

As far as I understand what you’re trying to do, you can do exactly that in Logic. Just pop a midi “modulator” plugin on your track and you’re done. It has an LFO and an envelope, and you can do the same “click on a virtual knob” thing to assign it to a given plugin parameter.

That’s if it’s an insert at least… If it’s on a bus, it might be more tricky. I’m sure there’s a way, but could be more of a hassle.

1 Like

You make it sound pretty straight forward.

Thank you!

There’s only so many DAWs so I wouldn’t worry about acquiring too many.

But I get it. Ableton is a huge investment. Especially if you currently have a DAW that works for you.

I have both and Ableton in my opinion has a better and easier flow to it. It’s a little more straight forward.

But Logic can do everything Ableton can do, short of the Max4Live stuff.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what’s tempting. The straightforward nature and accessibility of all the tools.

But I may just chill on it because as w-if said, I have a lot I can do with what I have.

Thank you for the reply though!

I’ve been tempted by Ableton as it seems to be the most popular DAW when it comes to electronic music. However, when I was deciding on which DAW to get into a couple years ago, Logic was providing so much for the price that it was kind of a no brainer to go that direction. I mean, it is a top DAW for $200.

Yes… same!

I bought an M1 MacBook, and since I went back to college, I was eligible for the Education bundle that came with Logic.

And since I got Logic. Might as well get my first synth….

And now a year later…. I’m ruined with a synth addiction!

many of the daws can accomplish similar things but it’s the workflow that really sets them apart, I think ableton is the closest daw to an instrument workflow itself… definitely worth checking out whenever you’re ready for it.

1 Like

I’ve tried to like Ableton, but it’s just not for me. So many things about it just seem unintuitive and clunky. I’ve always preferred the workflow of more linear-style DAWs like Cubase, Logic, and Studio One. I actually started out with Reason, which is idiosyncratic in its own way.

@BLKrbbt stop buying shit dude. Seriously. You’ve already got way more than anyone might need to make a lifetime’s worth of music. I think you should sell a bunch of shit, pay off debts, and learn a select few bits of gear really well (that includes Logic) so you can make some music… Assuming making music is actually your goal here. If it’s not, feel free to ignore this and keep collecting things.

4 Likes