Dave Mech Live @ ADE 2021 // Uptempo/dark/dub techno

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Yeah I do that too sometimes. Used to do that a lot in my previous bedroom studio in addition to walking around the house to listen to how the bass sounded in certain “hot spots” in the house :). In my current studio I just mute all non-bass content mostly, because I want to hear how the kick punches in full spectrum in addition to how the bass works. The definition is a lot better here to hear what’s going on.

It is certainly a useful tip!

2 Likes

Hi @DaveMech !

Thanks for sharing!

I am a curious to ask how is this type of playing from business/audience point of view? Does people know the difference of your craft and music compared to mediocre DJ how just basically hits play and do some mixing? Are there places and market for this kind of art? I concider this as an art and musicianship which requires countless hours of practise like any trad. instrument…

1 Like

Thanks Plaine :slight_smile:

In smaller venues people are often very interested in my setup and they do understand it’s different from a DJ set just by looking at the instruments. Of course there are a lot of people oblivious to the difference. And that’s okay too. I just want to create something memorable for the audience and something to dance to. It’s okay if they think I’m a DJ. The way I see it is that when someone finds my music interesting enough to look me up they can see a bit more of what I’m trying to do.

On bigger stages it’s going to be hard for people to see what is happening so probably they won’t know the difference. In the end it’s all about the experience they have, the atmosphere of the music and if they want to dance to it :slight_smile:

3 Likes