Dataline style time stretch on DT

I am not sure I am understanding this right.

Let’s say I had a 4 bar (64 steps) pattern and at the set tempo I had a sample that was 1 bar long.
Is there a way to get this 1 bar sample to “stretch” across the full 4 bars?

How does one do this on the Digitakt?

thanks.

I reckon if you lower the speed of the LFO it should stretch. I’ve had some success in slow creeping across(sounds granular).

On a separate note, I’ve had random success/failure with this thread trick. The last time I tried. The Trig would trig the beginning clip for two bars and then finally progress through the sample. I don’t know if this is a bug or (most likely) user error.

Make sure you disable lfo.t on the trig page, and plock lfo.t only on the first step of the first bar.

2 Likes

Brilliant! Thank you!

1 Like

So I have been trying to find the video for the past 5 minutes and I have failed :frowning: but:

I saw a video of an Audio installation once, where the person set up a large number of speakers at about head height, in a long line, very close to each other, along a wall.

Each speaker played a little tiny loop of sound, a tiny grain, over and over forever. All of the speakers were playing a different loop. If you stand and listen, it sounds like a mess of static.

The tiny loops were all taken from a much longer sound, and the tiny loops that the speakers were playing were set up in order, so that as you walk down the line, with your ear close to the little speakers, the sound would turn into the original, long sound, but played back at whatever speed you were walking at. Backwards and forwards.

Totally awesome installation and I really wish I could find a link to it!

Anyway, that’s kinda how this trick works :slight_smile: the LFO is moving your head, your listening position.

6 Likes

thanks everyone, I will try it tonight.

I frickin LOVE this technique. I read about it and then forgot, then was reminded by @volcabeet on IG. Used it on some Jo Stafford chops. I see the rate and depth being closer to 64 being the spots where the audio is usable for some reason maybe i’m not doing it right but it sure is inspiring. More to be had by digging even deeper with this technique. The first piano loop is 16 trigs long, the vocal chop is 32 trigs long. I tried to get the piano loop to trigger a second time on the second page and turn off lfo trig on 17-32, but as you can hear it gets all wonky. Anyone try anything longer than 16 steps?

I still can’t get the lfo to behave consistently with it.
it goes lovely n slow for a few seconds, then races back to the start of the loop real fast where it stays stuck for a while, then starts moving forward again slowly.

I feel real stoopid. I just want it to scrub slowly and smoothly back n forth thru the sample. I’m not trying to get a sample to fit 4 bars or anything, just want to granularise some phrases in a smooth manner.

:frowning:

Nah man not stupid, its really kinda a difficult hack and its inconsistent in a consistent kind of way if that makes any sense at all. Its happening to me too. I can make it DO things but not exactly what I want it to do. But its inspiring nonetheless. I have a 16 trig loop I want triggered at the beginning of each page. Got it all set up and it behaves for the first 1 or 2 bars after that it randomly goes somewhere and then locks on to that place until I change it again. The DT is not really meant to do this, I’m REALLY surprised that someone figured this out but then again there are a lot of people more savvy than me with synths and samplers.

1 Like

The speed of your lfo is too fast, try turning it down to 16 and 2bpm and adjusting from there

1 Like

isnt he just scrubbing the voc loop start and loop point in sample veiw mode? its easy to do this?

Oh another thing I just dug into was on the trig page the TRIG LEN is not just one trig long, its as long as the sample itself right? Infinite makes a big difference in what you get out if it. Still goes wonky after 2 bars.

Another interesting way to set it up is this way

64 BPM - ONE 16 STEP VOCAL LOOP

TRIG PAGE
LFO TRIG OFF - TRIG LEN - DEFAULT

LFO PAGE
SPD 1 - MULT 4BPM - DEST SAMPLE START -
WAVE - RAMP
MODE TRIG or FREE (there is a difference just dont know how to explain it)
DEPTH 63

Lay down your 16 trigs. First trig is P-LOCKED to trigger LFO and LENGTH - INFINITE (everything else default with lfo trig mode off and trig length default)

Press play and mess with the MULTIPLIER and SPEED

The speed set to a very low number like 1 and the multiplier of 1 bpm gives the sample that stutter all the way through at literally 1bpm. Set the multiplier higher and you get a faster stutter I think the lower speed gives a closer next “step” but since the first trig is set for infinite length you get random pauses when its done processing the whole sample. With the multiplier set to 32 bpm is stuttery - multiplier set to 32 gives a less steppy playback but whatever other setting you play with obviously affects all of it. Set the speed higher than 1 and it gets steppy, Watch the source page wave and you can see how far it jumps.

2 Likes