Dark or gnarly sounding mixers

Well maybe you know what you’re doing better then I do :joy:

1 Like

I made other tests with my Mackie 1604 vlz pro. Very gnarly!
Btw I don’t get the need of something dark, easy to reduce frequencies.

Distortion also act as a (dirty) compressor / limiter. The worst soundwise can be digital clipping.

Of course if you push hard some specific frequencies it can be bad for ears, speakers. With a distorted path it can compress it. :loopy:

1’23.! !
2’15.! !

1 Like

what about old Rolands? Anybody has an experience with?

Something like this ->

3 Likes

I’ve looked at exactly that thing as well today, I suppose. Hard to dig up any useful information about this mixer. It seems to be from the mid 90s as far as I found out. Not sure if the price that guy is asking for is justified… but please, do let us know if you decide to give it a try. :slight_smile:

Instead I just found a BOSS BX-60 for almost nothing. Doesn’t come with EQ but has one FX send and gain per channel. I’ll post something for sure if it was worth it.

did you outbid me 50c on the 60 today? :slight_smile: somebody snatched it for 25,50€

1 Like

Yes indeed. :grin:

1 Like

I got 800 for 15+15 postage with broken back cover. Let’s see… should come in couple days…

Good luck with that! That BX-60 did look a bit crappy on the pictures. Will need some good cleaning and service for sure.

Lacks eq !

Well, I got my 15euro BX-800 in the post today, it is in quite state - definitely battle tested - I suspect some proper soundsystem :slight_smile: What I did not know is that Italy has one extra peg in their plugs :slight_smile: so cannot test it until I get the adapter sometime this week…

The BX-60 arrived today in fairly good condition. The pots are a bit scratchy from dust, but after a few turns all seems to go well. I am very pleased by the size and form factor of the mixer. Looks neat and doesn’t take too much space, too.

Soundwise I can say it’s capable of adding a nice warm touch and overdrives at higher gain (75%-Max) in a rather friendly subtle way. Don’t expect fierce distorting noise from this box. It’s putting out fairly loud levels, though!

So far so good. But I’ve just done a quick test running some sketches from the Digitone directly through it so far.

1 Like

As already mentioned - any member of the Boss KM-family works great!

KM6

or the bigger KM60

1 Like

Really cool!
If there weren’t just these ridiculous prices being asked for KMs everywhere…

The old Teisco MX serie does fit the bill as well. Not a proper demo but you can hear it’s character is this short video I did:

1 Like

Just replying to say how much I love the occasional cowbell in Protean Informational Apparatus

1 Like

Proper gnarly cheap thing = Teisco MX-600

1 Like

Bastl Dude Mixer gets pretty gnarly when you start pushing it.

2 Likes