Damage from prolonged hot input?

Quick Q

Is there any chance of damaging inputs if exposed to a hot input (solid red on meters) for a prolonged amount of time? I have my OT on my Mackie Alt 3/4 bus and when I want to mute tracks inevitably it goes to the OT. Sometimes the mix is far higher than I would evet send to the OT by choice.

Thanks in advance.

Hmm, from a practical viewpoint, I doubt there would be any damage, as long as the mix going in is somewhat close to line level. I’m just thinking what would happen if you tried to sample that input. I assume it would probably just be loud and/or clipped to all hell. So, I can’t say with certainty, just my gut feeling.

1 Like

No damage. Just as good practice keep your levels at a decent level for capturing the performance or recording individual tracks. There comes a point when you are running too hot and already your transients sound bad and a club or PA sound system it will only sound worse.

1 Like

Hm. Good point. I don’t think I was doing any serious mixing at the time, and while I have meters on my mixer already, I should keep in mind the OT lights to check stuff.

when not using a mixer in the setup but rather the OT as one, i usually look at those as a reference making sure they don’t get :red_circle: :smile:

1 Like

Leds can be solid red with a sine wave from - 12db without clipping (MKI). Clipping at - 1db or something.
Without clipping, I don’t know why there would be some damage…

3 Likes

Sweet! Thanks all.