Daisy Chaining MOTU Ultralites

Just wondering does anyone else here daisy chain MOTU Ultralties for their gear?

I have two but it is very hit and miss setting them up. If the laptop only registers one MOTU (which happens often) the whole computer has to be restarted because nothing will work.

Just wondering has anyone any experience with this or maybe there is alternative set up on the market?
Tks

Nice problem to have :wink: … no direct experience of solving this, but as a longtime UltraLite user I keep an eye out for info; one thing that strikes me is that you don’t get the power pass through working as it should when you use an adaptor to get FireWire out of your machine … so i’d expect you’d have better prospects from a dedicated ‘authentic’ FireWire port from a power handling perspective (unless you power the Ultralites, or last one in chain, with an ext psu) … might be worth trying a psu. There may be better OSs to explore being on too, although MOTU are generally very good at catering for all users. See if it helps to power on the furthest device first, then power on the closest.

Haha I don’t know about that :slight_smile:
Ye spoke to a guy who works for MOTU today. I had the second UL on power supply because there is no way Thunderbolt powers 2 of them. But he seems to be saying that both need external power. Will try it over the weekend.

But yes I don’t want to get rid of them due to their size and build. They are great.

1 Like

Sure are … and the support and os tools they provide is always just as you’d hope. Good for CV world experiments as they’re quite hot and dc-coupled.

Never used it for any CV stuff (only own a 0 coast) but seen it in action and a great feature. Also to send Reaktor blocks CV out is a great use I have seen.

1 Like