Dadamachines Composer Pro

maybe this lights the much needed fire under AKAI’s chair?
will be watching this closely

An rPi can definitely do a lot of things! Especially once you start getting into using multiple cores, but that could be a bit tricky depending on what you are using.

I use Organelle extensively and if I can get the funds I will probably get this and develop some crazy stuff for it!!!

I was planning to use those funds to build a sick af sound system though… difficult decisions!

2 Likes

A real shame that this doesn’t have CV/gate. That would absolutely position this at the top of my list.

Not (yet) a convincing presentation. Seems a Deluge with more keys and a “better” sound engine. Deluge’s sequencer, tho, is pretty awesome.

16 steps and a full octave. Seems just right.

1 Like

It runs Pure Data. I wonder if it plays well with Zoia. If so, that would be one awesome setup

Looks awesome!

Evidently the Composer Pro is canceled, which is a shame. A Deluge-like with a real screen and user-defined synth engines sounded great. It’s also somewhat surprising, as they seemed to already have a fairly functional prototype.

1 Like

I had a feeling thjmis would happen since we haven’t heard much about it since 2019. I feel like it was just a bit too ambitious for what they could realistically accomplish. Hopefully they come back with it or something similar in the future.

1 Like

Yeah, too bad. I was following this, too, because I didn’t really find enough use for my Deluge, so I sold it. I thought Composer Pro was going to be worth a try.

I wonder what happened to the project… Does anyone know?

Ugh, I was waiting for this one…

The numbers just didn’t add up, I figure.

The people really looking forward to this(myself excluded) must’ve appeared to be a niche group. Excitement for a product can only carry so far- could have been the price tag they would have needed to attach to this, could have been they didn’t receive enough positive reception for their product to make it feasible.

I dropped out of my community college Business class- but I think it was just a business decision based on business reasons

1 Like

I’m going to agree with you Ryan – but take a slightly different slant at it. I think they may have decided it was a good enough idea, but that they weren’t ready yet as a company to take it on. Discretion being the better part of valor and all. (Whenever you don’t know what else to say, quote Shakespeare. :grin:)

No doubt they’re shopping around for something they’re more equipped to be successful with.

I say this having observed Dadamachines sale of their fine Automat product. They’re a pretty conservative company – i bet they’ve never run a debt.

Interesting to notice the similarity of Dadamachines and Polyend. There is a similarity of the Perc and the Automat. And then with the Seq and the Composer Pro. But Polyend uses investor capital, and corporate partners too.

2 Likes

Interfaces should not be designed to do everything. They should be designed to do something really well.

2 Likes

Sort of, I guess. If you want one of these self-contained everything boxes, it’s a matter of coming up with a tolerable mix of compromises, at least for a big enough market. Ultimately, though, the Deluge’s sound was too much of a sacrifice for me, as were triggers without velocity sensitivity. I was OK with the crappy little speaker for the sake of portability and the difficulty of swapping the battery. Eight rows, though, was quite annoying because I really want a chromatic octave, so the Composer Pro was going to get a try if it came in at under, say, $1800 USD.

Wow, Fire can be had new for £99! That’s really tempting!

Well said. I can agree with that. FWIW, I wish Roland would do a portable groovebox with the MC-505 front panel, but with the lightweight materials of the new stuff. That thing was such a workhorse.