Cycles or digitone?

1 Like

I have both. I just got and am still learning the Digitone, but the Model:Cycels is pretty special imo. It’s just so easy and fun. So much of the complexity in the Digitone is just simplified in the right way.

My biggest gripe about the Model:Cycels is that it feels like Elektron was mainly focused on a cheaper entry level version of the Digitone (and Digitact with the Samples) but I think they should have really leaned into the Cycles being it’s own thing because it is quite different than the Digitone.

If the chord machine could output polyphony over midi, it might be the best hardware sequencer on the market because it’s so simple. If it had audio over usb for individual tracking, it would be unbeatable.

The Digitone fills in a lot of those gaps, but also does a lot more functionality. I think they’re great together though. The Cycles has a really unique modern sound that can sometimes make it hard to blend with other gear sometimes. It kind of needs a buddy to go with it like the Microfreak, MegaFM or Digitone, etc., so you can get more out of it. That being said, 2 Model:Cycles sounds pretty wonderful right now. Drums and Bass from one machine and all the melody from another would be great. I honestly would have gone that route and not gotten the Digitone if the Cycles could send polyphony over midi.

I wish Elektron had charged more for the Cycles/Samples and added more of the main feature requests that people ask for on here. If they had I think it would be one of the most ubiquitous pieces of gear around.

2 Likes

Hello,
Does the Cycles have an attack parameter with shift + decay?
Is the retrig live quantized or is it free running like on the AR?
Thanks

There’s no explicit attack parameter, no. What you can do though, is use the LFO, selecting ENV and using that to modulate DIST/VOL . If you search the “Cycles tips and tricks” thread you should find the details.

2 Likes