Cycles / Logic / Chaos

Pretty new to all this so y’know…

I have a live rig which includes a Model Cycles. Only had it a few days really. I’m trying to take MIDI out of my Focusrite 18i8, hooked up to Logic, to provide the master clock to record back into Logic.

Not only can I not seem to get the midi clock to go into the MC, but if I manipulate transport buttons, metronome or any channels etc in Logic, the MC goes wild, plays all manner of random notes and the pattern gets all messed up.

I don’t really know the first thing about MIDI or setting it up tbh, real newbie, so googling and forum searching isn’t helping much because I don’t know the right questions to find the right answers. Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

A good place to start might be to go into the config of th m:c (spanner/wrench button) go to the midi section and within that, the filter section. There you’ll be able to stop the m/c responding to various midi messages.

There’s much more to learn, but start with that and then see what questions you have, is my suggestion.

Well, that was an awesome start thanks. It appears I’ve filtered out note messages, so that appears to have fixed the issue with the random mad screaming.

Now all I need to figure out is why the tempo coming from Logic results in a really weird stop-start tempo playing on the MC. I know the tempo is coming from externally, that’s all good. Any ideas why the clock isn’t synced even thought it says it is?

Can only guess on that one (stop/start tempo), I know nothing about Logic and it seems most likely that’s to do with what midi messages Logic is sending. If you’ve tried everything in config->midi->filter on the M:C, take a look also in config->midi->sync and see if you can tweak anything there. You’ll certainly need ‘Clk In’ to be ‘ON’.

Awesome. Thanks, will try that.

I seem to remember having a similar issue with transport controls when syncing to Logic. I was able to work around it by sending transport to the Cycles via usb. It might be worth a try if you haven’t.

Also, make sure your Cycles is on the latest firmware, because I think it may have been addressed in an update.

Let us know if you make any progress. I could switch a few things around and help you narrow it down (Logic isn’t involved in my current setup).

Thanks for that. I’ve upgraded the firmware now, all good. It seems like the earlier suggestion re tweaking the midi configuration solved the transport control issue - I killed off the note messages.

So now when I hit play in Logic, connected via MIDI cable from the Focusrite OUT to the M:C IN, it starts up, but the tempo is all over the place still. It’s like the tempo from Logic isn’t making it, or is making is in a garbled way, to the M:C.

I had a play around with Logic and Cycles. I’m running Logic 10.6.3, current Cycles firmware and I’m not having any problems.

I don’t have anything filtered on the M:C, and clock in and out are both checked; polarity settings are STD.

In Logic I have Project Sync Settings set to my midi interface, RK005 in my case, but yours will be your Focusrite—I only have Clock checked. Also, I have the USB removed from the M:C, so only the 5 pin.

Check to see if any of these settings differ on your rig. It could be a setting on your interface or even a bad cable, so you can check those settings if my mine don’t make a difference.

Good luck,

-K

Thanks for the info.

I seem to have solved it by going USB only and making sure Logic is sending the clock out only to the M:C direct, ignoring the Focusrite.

This will, at least for now, do for me as Logic now triggers the M:C, I can record the M:C into Logic and carry on as normal outside of this setup.

Appreciate all the help.

3 Likes

Just wanted to drop back in here and say I really appreciate the help and advice you guys gave me. I now also have my hands on the M:S and am getting to grips with both machines in my embryonic live rig.

1 Like