CV to MIDI conversion

I think the minitaur might pass along midi from its USB, it has no midi out port … But either way you can’t sequence anything but monophonic signals over CV.

Simple answer, use a DAW to sequence your P6.
Or buy an MPC or octatrack.

Getting ready to dive I and buy a 192 with a 100 mnt power supply. Dieter Doepfer couldn’t say whether it would work with the Elektrons. Although, I think it should be possible. Has anyone already tested this combination?

Out of interest, what’s wrong with the sequencer on the P6?
Is it because you want to use P-locks?

The P6 sequencer is only a very basic step version. I need real time. And I like to have one main sequencer governing things.

Thought that was the case.
Never played with a P6, so wasn’t sure how flexible the sequencer was.

Thinking about the choices…A Squarp Pyramid would be a good investment if money were no object. But the cheaper option of the QuNexus is interesting me. Or can anyone tell me how to get the midi out thru USB on the Minitaur? Is it a simple AK/4 CV to Midi solution? Other than that it seems to be the Modded Monotribe…Hmmm.

I read this and thought the QuNexus might work: CDM QuNexus

But I got this reply from KMi told me of it being limited to CC…

‘It does work, but that demonstration is different approach. They are sending the keypresses from the QuNexus out as CV to the Monotribe. They are not translating CV to MIDI notes. You can’t take CV in and translate it to MIDI notes, only CCs.
You can convert the CV/Gate output of your Analong Keys to CCs. So you can take the sequence from the AK, to CC, and then to P6, but you can’t send Notes.’

So, I’m trying to research the Doepfer 192-2, Minitaur or Monotribe Midi options. (I’d rather have a Minitaur to be honest!)

Were you to read the CV TO MIDI CONVERSION section of the Minitaur’s manual, it would be revealed that the Minitaur only transmits MIDI CCs and SysEx, so no CV/gate to MIDI note messages are possible, only CV inputs to MIDI CC outputs.

1 Like

Thanks Peter. Not having read the manual I was hoping someone had experience with the Minitaur… Now to see if anyone has tested the Doepfer 192-2!

Please someone can confirm that the OP lab is working properly to convert cv/gate to midi notes?

Any other confirmed/tested solution for an efficient cv to midi conversion?

The cv outputs of my A4 would love to coommunicate with MIDI friends…:wink:

I confirm that the BS rack convert cv/gates notes to midi.
For the price, it is a pretty awesome solution with a great synth in bonus :stuck_out_tongue:

Note: It would be interesting to have a benchmark stick-up post with all the cv to midi solutions and their features (note, cc, with computer…)

1 Like

Why Elektron forces us to use these converters and won’t enable midi sequencing on the A4/AK is beyond me. The unit already works very well as a midi controller, it’s just silly that they artificially cripple it like this.

2 Likes

I just won an auction for a Doepfer A-192-2 - will test next week upon arrival.

Yup. Why oh why oh why. Did we time travel back to 1981?
That people even have to raise this issue is to my mind just ridiculous and really shows the way Elektron think. Just clone the cv-out track to the midi out guys wtf?

Joe

2 Likes

does it work?

Yes

3 Likes

Kenton’s Pro CV to MIDI is now shipping.
Finally, a non-eurorack CV to MIDI converter that also does CV to CC#.

http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/m-cv/pcvmidi.shtml

Manual available at http://www.kentonuk.com/kmanualspdf/pcvmidi-manual.pdf

3 Likes

mm…this one looks nice :relaxed:

1 Like

Lots of fun features under the hood, for sure.

Pitch quantization to semi-tones.
Auto-tuning
CV to Velocity/Aftertouch controllers…
Min/Max range AUX CV selection
S-Trig or Gate (for rising edge compatibility)
32 memory locations

A4 holy grail companion!

1 Like